[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Arête and Comprehension

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (1MB, 971x3604px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 971x3604px
Does anyone here when they see the word "arête" think of a scale of excellence, the more arête one has the higher on the scale?

Am I going about this wrong? I already know Arête is one of the harder words for the English read to understand.

What's a good way to comprehend it and apply it to the Greeks.
>>
Arête could be translated to pinnacle.

t. francophone
>>
>>9336949
I do a lot of climbing and Arete always refered to a feature of the rock that is essentially a vertical ridge, i.e. one of the exterior corners of a building would be an arete. Doesn't it just mean ridge in French?
>>
http://www.jstor.org/stable/20162854?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
>>
>>9337561
>>9338282
He's talking about the Greek word you dumb frogs.

>>9336949
A good way to understand the term is to read it as the italian "virtu" found in the works of Machiavelli. Arête is the apex of a man's existence, the fulfillment of his possibilities and their translation into great deeds.
>>
>>9336949
Strangely inspirational meme you've got there...
>>
>>9340026
Jack donovan writes that Virtu meant Manliness in The Way Of Men. Arête I believe means the same thing as Kaizen, meaning excellence in the form of continuous habitual improvement.
>>
>>9336949
Regarding that comic, I don't think it's possible for me to hate anyone more than I hate people who confuse the scientific revolution with the enlightenment.
>>
>>9336949
I'm Spanish and I've always seen arete translated as virtue or excellence
>>
>>9336949
tfw all you want in life is a /lit/ gang to pursue excellence in all things with and attempt to destroy all things through the written word
>>
>>9341894
>Jack donovan writes that Virtu meant Manliness in The Way Of Men
but that's wrong
>>
>>9341894
Everything connected to the contemporary digital Right is based on a misinterpretation of a misinterpretation of a mistranslation of something someone smarter than Nick Land said.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.