[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I write better stories?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: google.com 871750.jpg (60KB, 300x475px) Image search: [Google]
google.com 871750.jpg
60KB, 300x475px
What books should I read if I want to learn how to write "plain good stories". I'm wanting to improve my writing for comics (and short 10-15 minute long animations)?

All I know of is Joseph Campbell's Hero with a Thousand Faces and Strunk's Elements of Style.
>>
>>9333233
My current "safe" route is the "accelerating pendulum" template, that is: where you picture the morale of protagonist on one end and the antagonist's morale on the other; the pendulum swings gently from side-to-side from motionless rest with an increasing arc in swing from one side to another.

e.g.: The villain makes a small gain, the hero makes a slightly larger gain, the villain makes a larger gain, then when all seems lost the hero makes an even larger gain and overcomes the villain. It's important to note that along the way, there has to be careful attention to what is explained in advance to the reader so the final payoff can feel like a rewarding surprise instead of a highly telegraphed motion seen from miles away. I.e.: If the heroes spend three minutes in the middle of an episode explaining a pincer attack in advance, the audience probably expects it to fail since it wouldn't be rewarding if "everything went according to plan". It's the same structure

Yes, the above approach is formulaic, but it's a good go-to as a starting point.
>>
learn to address your concerns indirectly, because nobody likes to be lectured or preached to.
>>
>>9333390
Not sure what you mean.
>>
On Writing by King has tips for writers too, dunno if that's quite what you're looking for though.
>>
>>9333233
read books you enjoy instead of books about how to write books

why does nobody get this
>>
>>9333556
Tolkien and heroic epics are a pretty hard to copy. It requires so much work that you start feeling like a novice, and you go for guidance. It's the same for great philosophers, I reckon.

Even structured stories like those of Agatha Christie can be a hurdle to get right.
>>
>>9333581
You don't have to mimic them, you pick up on it through saturation in what you dig, which is the best way to do it anyways

Yall need to baste more
>>
write about things you feel must be said by you otherwise you'd be frustrated and probably kill yourself. It has to have a motive. Money is also a good one btw.
>>
>>9333400
I think he is saying avoid exposition and express flaws, what's at stake and conflict through means other than direct dialogue. Be playful with it.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.