[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grammar Help Please

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: FeYZlft.jpg (185KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
FeYZlft.jpg
185KB, 1536x2048px
Guys, can you help me out with some grammar clarifications about the use of comma splice?

My understanding is that a comma splice happens when two independent clauses are connected by a comma that is not followed by a coordinate conjunction. However, I was told that the following are instances of comma splice:

CASE 1:

>[..], so it may be used to shoot around the city, **but it is not great for portraits as it may [...]**.

I was told that the comma before but introduces a comma splice, but I don't understand why. But is a coordinate conjunction, should it not be correct to use a comma there?

>I was not planning [...], so I
settled on [..], and by the end of week two, [...]

Likewise, I was told that the comma before "and" introduces a comma splice. Why?

CASE 2:

>I was not comfortable with my X, I was not confident in my Y, and I generally had [..]

I was told that the first comma introduces a comma splice, and I understand that it does according to the definition I mentioned at the beginning, but this is a list of things. A list separates items with commas, so how else could I have structured this?

> i learned the importance of X, I practiced my Y, I delved into Z, and I improved my W.

Same as before; what's wrong with listing comma-separated sentences, and should I do it correctly?
>>
Help
>>
If it's a novel, comma splices are okay and the norm, for style. If it's academic, they're considered a stylistic flaw. Correct for novels, incorrect for academic writing.
>>
>>9330790
these cases are not comma splices
also, even if they were, standard English tolerates a lot comma splices (albeit not as much as, say, French)
>>
>>9331145
>Correct for novels, incorrect for academic writing.
this is a good example of an actual comma splice
>>
>>9330790
it sounds like whoever is telling you these are comma splices doesn't know the difference between an independent clause and a dependent clause
the connectives in your examples make their respective clauses dependent, and therefore make their respective sentences not count as comma spices
>>
>>9331145
Yeah, but I want to understand the rules before I break them.

>>9331155
Are you sure? My professor highlighted them as being comma splices.
>>
>>9331178
I'm dead sure
not sure how to resolve your problem, though
it's a bit of a pickle when a professor is wrong

maybe just rephrase into a sentence that could not even possibly resemble a comma splice
e.g.: change
>I was not comfortable with my X, I was not confident in my Y, and I generally had [..]
into
>I was not comfortable with my X, nor confident in my Y, and generally had [...]

that said, I don't see how anyone who knows what a comma splice could possible think Case 1 counts as one
how could a connective introduce a comma splice?
the whole point of a comma splice is that it lacks the requisite connective
>>
>>9331217
Good idea for fixing Case 2; I had no idea how to do it otherwise.

For case 1: could it have something to do with the fact that I have 3 connected sentences? In both cases it seems that I have a 2nd clause connected with "so", and then the last one with "but" or "and". Does this matter?

(also, if you don't mind a side question: is my use of colon in the paragraph above correct? I didn't know what else to use besides em-dash, but I feared that would be an even worse misuse?)
>>
On this topic:

>It felt very special in many ways, but also similar to some of my previous experiences

In this sentence: is the comma before "but" incorrect? The sentence after the comma doesn't seem to be an independent clause so the comma is incorrect, and its removal would not introduce a run-on, right?

Similarly, is the second comma used below correct?
>No, it's still just one thought, and punctuated correctly.
>>
>>9331281
>could it have something to do with the fact that I have 3 connected sentences?
That could be what your professor is picking up on, but it still isn't a splice. You're allowed to connect what would be independent clauses if you do it in a grammatically appropriate way.

>is my use of colon in the paragraph above correct
Yes, but a comma would be even more standard there.

>>9331339
>is the comma before "but" incorrect?
No, but it is unnecessary.

>is the second comma used below correct?
That one might actually be a splice. I would never mark that incorrect but you might change it to a semicolon to placate a pedant.
>>
>>9331424
Many thanks for all your answers. Just one last thing:

>Yes, but a comma would be even more standard there.

What's the justification of using a comma in that sentence ("For case 1, could it have something to do [...]")? I'm struggling to explain why a comma is correct there
>>
>>9331467
"For case 1" is a dependent clause that requires an independent clause
it's analogous to "As for myself, I like X." or "First of all, I will do Y."
a good heuristic would be to consider the clause in isolation
does it work as a standalone sentence?
if not, you have a dependent clause on your hands

the comma is versatile and plays many roles, try not to get caught up on a particular one
>>
>>9330790
gramar and spelling are memes made up to sell gramar books and dictionarys
>>
Hey, i'm trying to write a 2000 word (compare & contrast) essay on traditional and CGI Animation. Is there a way to make it reach the word count (without being redundant)?
>>
>>9331525
Ohh I see: "for case 1" is an introductory adverbial phrase
>>
>>9331424
>That could be what your professor is picking up on, but it still isn't a splice.
Yeah, just found out the term is "sentence sprawl"

> In short, sentence sprawl means there are too many equally weighted phrases and clauses, which produces tiresome sentences.
>>
Found this really cool PDF if anyone wants to be really anal about grammar

http://writing.wisc.edu/Handbook/PDF/twelve_common_errors_uwmadison_writingcenter_rev_sept2012.pdf
>>
FWIW more discussion confirming that case 2 is not a comma splice https://www.englishforums.com/English/CanListIndependentClausesSingle-SentenceList/pxlcr/post.htm
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.