[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: /LIT/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: lit.png (273KB, 600x505px) Image search: [Google]
lit.png
273KB, 600x505px
we talk about /lit/ on /lit/, as it's become irrelevant to do so in these parts
>>
for instance, I like book bc of [insert analysis of a character] and [sentence that spoke to me] while [theme] I didn't quite understand DISCUSS!!!!!
>>
/lit/ has bad taste
>>
>>9329523
i wish we had a board where we could talk about books and find cool stuff in said books. why has /lit/ become a breeding ground for boring politics and reiterated philosophical ideals, anon?
>>
>>9329534
I don't know, anon. What are you currently reading?
>>
>>9329534
I've been here for a couple years now, and it seems like this place has always been the same 20 or so memes/shitposts. I don't even have to open a thread anymore to know what the content is going to be. There's only a handful of threads a week that have insightful literary discussion, which is pretty sad.

It's not even that I don't like the memes (they still amuse me sometimes) I've just seem them all a thousand times already
>>
File: bigolfish.jpg (35KB, 308x499px) Image search: [Google]
bigolfish.jpg
35KB, 308x499px
>>9330441
Moby Dick! I am not a Christian, but the more moving moments of the book have had to do with God, and of the ways man is compared to the Leviathan. Also, I just read the part with the Rose-Bud and it's really enjoyable anon! ty

Honestly, I don't think there is any deeper metaphor than the content which isn't made apparent like above said comparisons to man and nature.

How about you?

>>9330476
See, I've been an active lurker for a year and half and it seems to me that it only gets harder to scroll through, yet I am here every day.
>>
>>9330659
I haven't read Moby Dick yet, but yeah, in many novels the content itself is more important than any possible metaphor you can find out.

I'm currently reading Juvenal in Latin and it's pretty hard :(

Have you ever tried to actually leave this website definitively or at least for a longer period than a few days?
>>
This board has become a lot better after the /fit/ merge
>>
Didn't really want to start a new thread about this question so why not?

What is the general opinion, if there is one, on authors misspelling words to indicate a character's accent? For example writing "yer" instead of "your" for maybe a southern accented character? I feel like I've seen it a lot, but when writing it down myself it feels stupid.
>>
gadfly.
>>
>>9331927
I enjoy it, dialogue should be real
>>
>>9331927
I think it's fair. There are certain things that are enlightened about dialects or accents through spelling things differently like that. Like in English Lit, characters will say "yer" and " 'ow's that?" As well, (thinking of Harry Potter here) character's say "er" or "erm" rather than the North American "uh" or "umm", which I think as a young kid enlightened me a little.
>>
>>9332029
>>9332187
I understand the er & erm example, I just find the written accents a bit corny. Of course I'm saying that about tons of talented authors though, so I'm probably wrong.

Wouldn't it be maybe more effective to just mention at an early point that they have an accent and leave it to the reader from there on out? I haven't taken a lit class before, is this a debate in professional writing circles, or am I just wrong here?
>>
>>9332208
you very well could do that, I think the character kind of loses some of its color and the book it's roundness. for instance, Queequeg in Moby Dick kind of needs that, it really represents where he comes from and gives him more depth rather than the cannibal he slept next to and worked on the boat alongside Ishmael. maybe it's more a matter of preference though, because I enjoy that about dialogue, like when they use "UGGHHH" and the like, idek. it all depends on how you go about writing the rest of it, i'm sure.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.