[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /lit/, redpill me on not reading for plot.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: reading for plot.jpg (127KB, 500x669px) Image search: [Google]
reading for plot.jpg
127KB, 500x669px
Context:

> greatly enjoy reading (atm read 2 or so books a week, yes pretty casual but i have other things I need to do as well)
> am quite picky, only really enjoy fantasy sci-fi and military fic or non fic
> always read, gamed and watched movies/tv to experience shit I can't irl
> have always read for enjoyment aside from a few cases
> read for plot and characters

Do you guys enjoy reading your greek philosophy or is it just a boring analytical exercise?
Redpill me, is reading just meant to be a chore?
>>
Aristophanes was funny. But I like lowbrow humor and slapstick, so it might be not for everyone
>>
>>9329497
>redpill me on not reading for plot
Why? Reading for plot is perfectly fine.

Even 'high brow' novels can be read for plot.

If you're happy with what your are reading, then why would you come on 4chan and change just because someone you don't know calls you a pleb?

Would I say read some more 'lit approved' books. Sure. But don't be like the guys here who do nothing but read the canon (or least the spark notes) and then act like they are the smartest men in the world.

A well read man is usually not a well experienced one.
>>
>>9329529
It was such a meme I thought there might be something I was missing.
>>
>>9329497
I don't get that meme
>>
Reading for the plot in s stupid because you might as well watch a movie which is a better medium to tell a plot and it won't waste as much of your time. Once you learn to understand that reading a book is most enjoyable when you do it to understand the thinking of another person then you will be enlightened. You don't read the Iliad for the plot, but for all the metaphors that reflect the human being and real world even today. It's why everybody that likes to read trash like ya or genre fiction does not enjoy reading the Iliad or the oddysey (and I'm naming easy examples here), because they read it for the plot, not like a piece of literature is meant to be read and thought about.

The Trojan Horse is a metaphor that is still today acurate and has a lot of meaning, your faggy dragons, faerries and starships are just a waste of time without any deeper meaning, why not just watch a movie or anime instead?
>>
File: low_quality_bait.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
low_quality_bait.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>Redpill me
>>
>>9329655
>The Ilyad has deeper meanings that are sound even today.

I know it is a typical /his/ behaviour to treat genre literature like ass, but c'mon, you shouldn't tell blatant lies.
>>
>>9329655
>movie which is a better medium to tell a plot
If by "plot" you mean "a sequence of events without any kind of depth to them or the characters partaking in them", then maybe. With some very rare exceptions, movie format is too short to present anything more.
>>
File: sp[1].jpg (28KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
sp[1].jpg
28KB, 640x360px
>Alright /lit/

is this a thing now?

jesus.

can we get /fitlit/ back instead?
>>
>>9329676
Its true though
>>
>>9329497
>am quite picky, only really enjoy fantasy sci-fi and military fic or non fic

There is your problem.
>>
>>9329655
The dragon is an ancient archetype and symbol though, representative of many things.
>>
>>9329529
Plot is like frosting on a cake :)
>>
>>9329853
Not in your fagot game of ice and fire fan fiction though
>>
Reading should be like looking out a window and a mirror at the same time: you get to experience something outside of you, but also learn more about yourself. Reading for plot alone is gazing out a window, ignoring the reflection.
>>
>>9329844
So I'm just fucked.
>>
>>9329529
>even 'high brow' novels can be read for plot
I'd rather do the opposite of that.
>>
>>9329879
I don't read fantasy or fan fiction
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.