[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you read poetry? Do you read each specific collection

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: MA8bERxdWh4VFQ==.jpg (96KB, 646x969px) Image search: [Google]
MA8bERxdWh4VFQ==.jpg
96KB, 646x969px
How do you read poetry? Do you read each specific collection of poems from front to back in the order they are in the book? How much time do you spend reading/re-reading each poem?
>>
>>9329150
I flip through, read what's interesting, mark my favourites on the contents page. do you mean how many times in one sitting?
>>
>>9329167
Yeah, how much time/pages do you typically read in one sitting? I've honestly never actively read poetry before but I have some collections of Rilke and Pound I want to read.
>>
>>9329173
oh cool. you should just read whichever way works for you. I find people tend to read and understand poetry in idiosyncratic ways.

I hate big collections and prefer smaller ones. it's hard to say because I read throughout the day. usually I'll read a bunch in a row during breakfast. then I'll re-read whichever ones I'm thinking about on my commute. etc.

so read a bunch > re-read the interesting ones > read another bunch. rinse, repeat.

always keep a pen or pencil on you. as you read deeper you'll want to mark up the poem as you go.
>>
>>9329199
neat, thanks
>>
File: bjorkpoet.jpg (21KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
bjorkpoet.jpg
21KB, 500x375px
np. p.s never forget.
>>
>>9329224
Bjork is my Dulcinea
>>
For me some poems, most epics ,Elizabethan or Augustan poetry, must be read contentiously without stops. especially couplets have a flow to them which i feel is necessary to my enjoyment of a poem. its also the reason why heavily annotated additions of those poems tend to miss the mark somewhat.

but on the other hand im currently reading through Robert Lowell's collected and i don’t think there is a poem there that i didnt read twice at a minimum. either because i liked it or because of it's complexity. 20'th century poetry docent have the same rigid predictable form as say the Augustan's did with Pope and Swift, so there is that to contend with. but it also tends to be more learned,academic and heavier on the references. (Milton would be an exception there). Lowell has already sent me to Dante,Aristotle, Eliot, Pound and various histories so newer poetry tends to be more self aware.

in the end of the day read in whichever way you find it easiest to pay attention to the words. they are all that matters. .
>>
>>9329378
This is how I feel about the Canterbury Tales. Extended readings, especially in the original english, are trance-like. Makes me wish I knew Homeric greek so I could experience the Iliad in a similar way.
>>
>>9329465
an unfair but useful maxim is ' good scholars make for bad translators'.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.