[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get into William Faulkner? I started with his short

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: william faulkner.jpg (63KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
william faulkner.jpg
63KB, 768x432px
How do I get into William Faulkner?

I started with his short stories thinking they would be easier to digest before diving into his novels but I'm just scratching my head here.

The Southern accents are annoying as fuck, his sentences have such a weird structure and go on forever so that by the time you're at the end of one you forget what the original point was supposed to be, his characters are one dimensional, nothing happens in his stories, and every time I get to the end of one I say "Why would anyone ever take hours out of their life to write a story about a guy hiccuping? Is this what passed as comedy in the 20s?"
I just don't get it. And I'm usually able to tell what an author was trying to go for even if I may not be a fan of their style, but Faulkner is a mystery to me so far.

If I don't like his short stories, should I not even attempt the novels?
Please help me not to be a turbo pleb.
>>
you don't have to read Faulker to not be a pleb. I enjoyed Faulker but I don't think he's absolutely required reading

life is too short to read things you don't really want to

maybe go read something else and then come back to Faulker in a year or two and see if you feel any better
>>
>>9329184
Either this, or just jump headlong into The Sound and the Fury, Light in August, or Absolom, Absolom!

They're some of his most worthwhile novels, so it's worth trying to get into one of them. If it still doesn't click, just move on and maybe try again later.
>>
>>9329109
By picking up any of his books that sound interesting to you and reading them. Please consider killing yourself before making shit threads like this. Thanks. Faggot.
>>
>>9329297
Sorry I made a thread on /lit/ that's about literature.
You can go back to your regularly scheduled programming of feels threads and Joyce shitposting.

>>9329290
Would you say the novels are similar in style to his short stories though?
I can imagine that his style might work in a novel format. It would hopefully give him the opportunity to flesh out characters a bit more.
>>
jesus christ just go to the library and borrow a book by him there's nothing to be afraid of
if you can't read it you don't need to tell anyone
>>
>>9329109
Faulkner is sophisticated, and sometimes hard work. You're probably just not ready yet. Come back to him in five years.
>>
>>9329330
Is everyone on /lit/ always this autistic?
>>
As I Lay Dying -> Light in August -> The Sound and the Fury -> Absalom, Absalom! -> Whatever you want but his earliest and latest works are kind of crap
>>
>>9329339
what's autistic is not being able to read something without the approval of some anonymous people

do you ask /ck/ before you go grocery shopping as well?
>>
>>9329109
Faulkner is a fucking hack. Don't fall for the stream of consciousness meme, you wretched faggot.
>>
>>9329339
No, dude. You are the autist. Faulkner is genuinely not that difficult except for maybe a section or two out of The Sound and the Fury.

Try out Absalom, Absalom or As I Lay Dying.

If you really are so quaking about approaching one of his novels, try reading a Rose for Emily. I personally don't care for his short stories but people love that one, and it's good, but not as great as his novels
>>
>>9329350
I'm not asking for approval. I'm curious to know if all of his work is in the same style so I don't spend money and time worrying about progressing with him.
Nothing I said should make you angry or upset in any way.

Fucking hell, /lit/ and /mu/ truly are the worst boards. Filled with aspies who get triggered over the tiniest things.
>>
>>9329382
I'd say that Absalom is leaps and bounds more difficult than The Sound and the Fury
>>
Read The Hamlet! It's sheer magic--
>>
>>9329402
Please never visit us again.
>>
>>9329419
Should I delete my account too?
>>
File: so_edgy.jpg (73KB, 500x490px) Image search: [Google]
so_edgy.jpg
73KB, 500x490px
>>9329380
Back to /a/ with you, sonny.
>>
>>9329424
Delete your life pleb.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.