[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lit/ make of Jane Austen? I know shes been made into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: jane.jpg (900KB, 769x952px) Image search: [Google]
jane.jpg
900KB, 769x952px
What does /lit/ make of Jane Austen? I know shes been made into something of a cringe pop-lit meme, but is she good anyway?

Also, how can the unwashed masses and hoards of housewives read Austen? Seems above them.
>>
>>9327022
>how can the unwashed masses and hoards of housewives read Austen?
Because Pride and Prejudice is a commonly assigned High School reading book.

Jane Austen is alright. I appreciate her writing, but I don't think very highly of her--and there are many female writers from the 19th century that are far better.
>>
>>9327042
who would you say surpasses her and how
>>
>>9327042
Here is the red pill. Most women do not even read it, they watch the movie.
>>
>>9327022
To be completely honest, I think there's a subculture of women who enjoy referencing her work as an example of how well-read they are, whether it's taking a picture of themselves with a book or sharing how much they enjoy "things only readers understand" on Pinterest. It may sound completely asinine to say this but I think that it actually is above most women, some just want to appear to enjoy reading her.

All the more respect to fans who will actually sit to have a conversation about Austen and her writing.

Personally I think her work is elegant and I see the appeal, it's just boring to me.
>>
I think she's great and deserves her reputation. She's incredibly funny and witty, and points out a lot of the bullshit in her society without ever really coming across as a bitter spinster type.
>>
Reminder that Emma is her most patrician work.
>>
File: notgreat.jpg (5KB, 296x170px) Image search: [Google]
notgreat.jpg
5KB, 296x170px
>>9327022
>Jane Austen could have been your /lit/, sarcastic bitchy gf
>she died alone and so will you
not fair desu
>>
>>9327280

Wrong. It's secretly Persuasion.
>>
>>9327280
Truth.

>>9327355
"Persuasion" in a close second, but the indirect free discourse of "Emma" sets it apart.
>>
Pride and Prejudice = Mansfield Park > Northanger Abbey > Sense and Sensibility >>>>>> Emma

Haven't read Persuasion yet.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.