[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>When, in early 1998, Winfrey picked Toni Morrison’s “Paradise”

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: oprah.png (426KB, 670x377px) Image search: [Google]
oprah.png
426KB, 670x377px
>When, in early 1998, Winfrey picked Toni Morrison’s “Paradise” and heard from more than a few readers who either didn’t finish the book or else “felt a little confused” by it, she decided to make the discussion a class, taught by Morrison herself in her office at Princeton.
>Along with Winfrey and her sidekick, Gayle King, twenty viewers were in attendance.
>“I really wanted to read the book and love it and learn some life lessons,” one of the women said, “and when I got into it, it was so confusing I questioned the value of a book that is that hard to understand.”
>So Winfrey steered the discussion toward estrangement and nonlinear narratives, comparing them to real-life experiences in a way that was both precise and easy to apprehend (for instance: “You are a new person in town and you’re getting to know the people in the town, do you know everything all at once?”).
>The woman finally agreed that submitting to the strangeness of the text “makes sense” and seemed primed to try again.

Holy shit, Oprah was a goddamn patrician. Jonathan Franzen fucked up.
>>
>>9326052
Too bad Morrison exclusively writes garbage that is propped up as culturally significant thanks to the leftist agenda.
>>
>>9326052
Oprah is legit patrician. she curated her own boxed set of Faulkner's works for her book club thing and it included his three most acclaimed and challenging works, minus Absalom. that's why when you look at reviews of Faulkner's stuff there intermittent reviews by confused soccer moms.
>>9326129
>Morrison
>propped up as culturally significant
>leftist agenda
buzzwords and rhetoric area good way of dismissing your own opinion. unless you can explain further, I'm gonna go ahead and lean towards James Baldwin's literary companion the acclaimed Harlem Renaissance/civil rights era writer with everyman's editions of her work as being "culturally significant"
>>
File: 1482288714019.gif (134KB, 393x393px) Image search: [Google]
1482288714019.gif
134KB, 393x393px
>>9326174
>buzzwords and rhetoric area good way of dismissing your own opinion.
Not half as good as dismissing things as dismissive because you don't like them. Still, I will give you an example of what I mean.

Although really the best thing to do is read her books, if you want to know the 'why'. They're far removed from good.

Of course despite that it didn't stop leftist 'intellectuals' from throwing a giant shit hissy fit when she didn't win the nobel prize, which resulted in her winning next year for Beloved, as you must capitulate to what is basically guilt extortion or else you're a racist. Did she win out of quality or significance? No. But did she win? Absolutely. You can look it up if you don't believe me.
>>
>>9326220
And of course what followed is the fact she won a nobel contributed to her relevance, it's like one giant exponential affirmative action styled avalanche of the leftist agenda. Now she's award winning author Toni Morrison, shitting out shit books hidden all the London subway by the esteemed likes of Emma Watson. It'd be farcical if it weren't so utterly depressing. This is the state of literature today.
>>
>>9326220
>>9326239
Oh god shut the fuck up nobody even cares about books today, why even bring extra-retarded paranoid politics into this dead medium?
>>
>>9326129
>autist can't understand symbolism
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.