[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/JUNG/ General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 7148804-L.jpg (37KB, 319x500px)
7148804-L.jpg
37KB, 319x500px
Is there any specific literature that serves as a counterargument to Jungian archetypes and the collective unconscious? I understand Kaufmann dismissed the ideas as unscientific dogmatism but various intellectuals also praise them. It's just been hard for me to find a critical work on Jung because everything related to him seems to be written by actual Jungians or theologians using his theories.

Even if there isn't a specific work, a general discussion about it in this thread would be great. I so far find the theory of archetypes to be empirical in the sense that they do exist, but only so far as Jungians are willing to look. They dismiss areas where the theory fails and instead use only its successes as proof of the archetypes' definite existence. That being said, I still find it extremely fascinating.
>>
Rieff, Triumph of the Therapeutic
>>
>>9324523
It's a theory so if you have good data you can jam it into the theoretical categories and interpret the phenomena and if what you uncover seems sufficient to make senses of the mess of data then pat yourself on the back but you very well might just be deluding yourself

>I so far find the theory of archetypes to be empirical in the sense that they do exist,
Maybe it's just the way you're looking at things, if you actually want to question their '''empirical''' reality try dropping archetypes and looking at things differently and maybe you'll see things totally differently and more clearly
>>
>>9324583
Neat, my library has a copy. I'll be back in 5 hours to tell you if it was what I was looking for or not.
>>
>>9324668
dropping the archetypes still gives me the sense that there are sociological figures ingrained in the psyche but that they are nothing inherent or divine. I think it speaks to the near-homogeneity of human cultures that they are so similar, and maybe there is something to be learned about society with the way we create certain figures, but it's definitely not an inherent psychological phenomenon.
>>
>>9324717
The way I see it, there are universals to human nature rooted in our biology, as we are a social species capable of abstract thought. Archetypes seem reasonable to me in the sense that every culture would necessarily have to manifest some way of reconciling these universals inherent to human existence

Ex: the role and structure of families/the relationship between the mother or father to the child and vice versa; growing from childhood to adulthood & initiation as an adult member of society; Sexual behavior, how men & women relate to one another; contextualizing the society vs. nature/the unknown, dealing with death, etc.

Every human society at even the lowest level of complexity has needed to manifest cultural norms or narratives to deal with these issues since they are fundamental to human nature. As such, while of course every culture manifests these issues differently,

I think the value of the Archetypes is that at the meta level we can find that many of these parallel to a great degree. While of course this isn't the sort of thing you could empirically prove, the idea that certain concepts and ideas of how to orient yourself to the world and society have survived fairly consistently over the course of history is a pretty compelling argument for the efficacy of tradition in an evolutionary sense.
>>
>>9325370
Fucked up the third line, meant to say

>As such, while of course every culture manifests these issues differently, they serve an equivalent function and often converge on how best to act within a specific context.
>>
>>9324583
That was dense as fuck boi
>>
>>9324523
To append this, in case anybody is wondering, Walter Kaufmann's Discovering the Mind Vol. 3 has a great critical chapter on Jung. The whole book is actually great.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.