[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which Franzen book should i start with?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: franzen.jpg (21KB, 300x373px) Image search: [Google]
franzen.jpg
21KB, 300x373px
besides "the Corrections"? I wanna start reading him but don't wanna start there. Which would you recommend? "the Twenty Seventh City"? "Freedom"?
>>
File: gan.jpg=s1200x1200.jpg (59KB, 622x423px) Image search: [Google]
gan.jpg=s1200x1200.jpg
59KB, 622x423px
>>9321874
Don't bother. Read Tao Lin instead. Tao>Franzen
>>
Start with the Corrections
>>
>>9321886
No. Fag.
>>
freedom>corrections>purity
>>
>>9321885

Nice try, Tao
>>
No, anon. Franzen is just not worth reading. Skip to the next in your backlog, or I can offer you mine.
>>
>>9321908
Why do you consider him not worth reading?
>>
I'm starting with purity. It's good so far, speaks to where I'm at in life...slightly degenerate from a societal perspective, with a vague notion of moving toward an identity and purpose wrapped around "good" or maybe just authentic.

He's smart if a bit meandering.
>>
>>9321916
I suppose it depends on what you value. For me he's a mediocrity on all cylinders. I just don't find his work or his approach to that work interesting. I don't need novels to be "profound" because for me that's like looking for oranges in an apple orchard. There's one thing you should read by him, and that's his New Yorker essay about Big Dave.
>>
>>9321931
you've been discredited for presenting a vague answer.
>durr I don't like him because I don't like him
that's what your response amounts to. fuck off
>>
Freedom's good
>>
>>9321942
er, ok.
Go ahead and read all his work, you won't be sorry.
>>
>>9321955
For reference , what are some books that speak to you?
>>
>>9321990
Gormenghast
>>
>>9321990
I mostly read poetry and philosophy. I guess I can list a bunch of novels for you to dismiss. Tristram Shandy, Larva by Julian Rios, Replacement by Tor Ulven, nearly all of Markson's work, and like Hawkes, Joyce, Bernhard.

I do urge you to read his New Yorker article about Dave though. It's a good piece of biography.
>>
>>9321874
Depends what you're after. Someone could read all his works, there's only like 7.

The last 3 novels are his top quality and where he found his voice. Same style, etc. The first couple aren't worth reading. The Corrections is the best one but if you're not starting with that try Freedom or Purity
>>
File: 1460516455465.jpg (1MB, 792x1224px) Image search: [Google]
1460516455465.jpg
1MB, 792x1224px
The Discomfort Zone, his book of memoir-essays, is pretty good. Then I'd say Corrections > other essays > first two novels > Freedom > Purity
>>
>>9322072
I'm gonna go with this. Case closed. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>9321931
That does not answer the question that was asked of you. You didn't say why he wasn't worth reading, you said why you didn't like him.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.