[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your milestones or feelgood moments when learning a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 01.vrgil_small.jpg (43KB, 320x292px) Image search: [Google]
01.vrgil_small.jpg
43KB, 320x292px
What are your milestones or feelgood moments when learning a new language?

For me it's Latin.

>you dream in the language
>you are awake at night with passages and chopped phrases running through your mind
>you have your first natural thought in the language
>you get a more-than-solid grip on the grammar rules and vocabulary and start getting excited when thinking about what language you should learn next (Greek? Oh hell yes.)
>you see your vocabulary in your mother tongue improve
>you appreciate poetry and prose in your mother tongue because of your new taste for syntax
>you start translating and when you stop to match your translation with a known translator, and you nail it
>you realize while some of it works in translation, the majority of it doesn't
>you start translating Cicero and Oxen of the Sun comes to mind
>>
Japanese is beautiful.
It's sad that the consensus is that it's hard for an English native. Just stick to it, it's gorgeous

I dream in Spanish sometimes, Japanese isn't as common
>>
I haven't hit any of those milestones.

I just read Oreberg and feel sad about my life choices whenever I look at actual Latin.
>>
>>9321449
i would like to learn latin on my own, can you give some directions of websites/apps/books to do this?
>>
>>9321489
Get two texts: Wheelock's Latin and Hans Orberg's Lingua Latina. The former is a walkthrough of Latin grammar. The latter is a book entirely in Latin that teaches you how to learn through reading and context clues. A lot of people like to say one or the other is best, but BOTH are great and if you only get one you're severely limiting yourself.

What you want to do is work your way through each one, one chapter at a time, one chapter a day (preferably, but of course there's going to be hiccups).

If you want my personal experience, I learned through these two books. I have just recently finished Wheelock's Latin, and have almost finished Lingua Latina (this one will have you re-reading and re-reading, further bolstering your ability to understand the language). I studied 2-4 hours a day for about 4 months, I had my off days, my rest days, and sometimes I went for 6 hours (I spend all week at my uni's library, and the only downside to this approach i'd say is that if you can't handle the stress, it might take a lot out of you. Hell, it's hard to sleep sometimes).

Now I am 300 words deep into 501 Latin Verbs (something else I recommend once you're 2/3's through Wheelock's), I plan on ordering Lingua Latina II, and I'm currently translating Cicero's De Natura Deorum.

If you want more advice: read ALL of Wheelock's. When he says read out loud before translating, listen to him! The only thing I didn't do was the self-tutorial exercises in the back, but I made my way through each chapter's problem sets and even made cheat sheets of the declensions and the verb endings when I was starting out.

Oh, and when you hit participles and subjunctives and other certain chapters, you're going to feel fucking discouraged, and that's okay.

>>9321468
Dude when I started Orberg that shit was ROUGH. Now when I look back at the first couple chapters, it is so damn easy. If you want to get back into it, supplement it with some Wheelock but know that some days you're going to feel like it's undoable.
>>
Childhood is idolizing Latin
Adulthood is realizing a living language makes more sense
>>
>>9321505
I keep going back and rereading chapters. I find the grammatical supplement is really helpful. Otherwise, I could easily miss some things. It's taken me a few months, but I'm up to chapter XIII now.

I also wrote a little program to help me drill noun declensions and verb conjugations. I find lots of repetition helpful.

I just don't have much confidence in my learning skills based on my previous experiences.
>>
I learned Swedish a few years back so that I could better communicate with this girl I'd had a crush on for well over a year. The greatest feelgood moment of the whole thing was when I had first started. I'd learned a couple of phrases in secret so that we could have a short conversation together. We were in a skype group together that would regularly do voice and video calls and most everyone there spoke English and at least one other language since it was a rather diverse group taking people from across the world. The girl knew several languages though including english, but for her it was sometimes hard to keep it all together and would often go off into her mother tongue when things got too fast and complex. One night I was in a call with her and around 6 or 7 others and someone started to shout and she kept trying to butt in but they shouted over her at some other person and she began to swear under her breath in Swedish and I said something akin to 'its easier to separate our voices and understand each other if we're not all speaking english' in her language and she just got so excited. She'd learned japanese, dutch and spanish so she could communicate with everyone else easier but nobody had bothered to take the time to learn her language and while we were on the vid call she started to tear up and I just felt so good.

kinda gay but whatever fuck you
>>
>>9321579
>I learned Swedish a few years back so that I could better communicate with this girl I'd had a crush on for well over a year.
I started laughing here.
>>
norwegian, used a cognate to understand a grocery item a german dude didn't know the english word for

spanish, impressed my mexican girlfriend's great-grandad with my ability, translating cognates from other latin origin languages

best joy is learning new English, words, phrases, and etymologies; anglo-saxon and norse words, Southern United States dialects, the knowledge that if you know a group of people well enough you can speak so that each person will understand something another won't
>>
>>9321466
for me its yelling CHIKkussshHOOOOOO when stubbing my toe
>>
>>9321594
better than learning japanese because you're a wapanese faggot.
>>
I started reading Orberg yesterday. I
>>
>>9321686
It's kind of hard finding time for it + reading after work, though, but I'll try to keep at it. Reading lots of Roman historical fiction got me interested into Roman history, and then eventually into Latin itself...
>>
>>9321673
No it's not.
>>
Italian is a beautiful yet violent tongue. Been studin' it since september. I just read a book on astrology and i can't wait to read all that medieval poetry.

Though right now im learning sanskrit, i've almost memorized the whole alphabet.
>>
>>9321669
I think your just a weeb
>>
Been having French classes for about a month, it's an interesting, albeit weak, language and I'm glad to learn a few new phonems. It's also my second month of Latin self study using Reading Latin, which is quite dense and demanding. I wish I had more time, gotta cram for uni's tests so I end up neglecting my Latin time.
>>
>>9321505
Aaaay greetings anon - its nice to know someone else is enjoying learning the latin
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.