[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I introduce someone to literature without scaring him

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: reiclone.jpg (48KB, 523x474px) Image search: [Google]
reiclone.jpg
48KB, 523x474px
How do I introduce someone to literature without scaring him away?

He admits genres are a marketing gimmick but continues to look for good writing in popular TV shows and cartoons. His favourites are always the ones he describes pleasant-looking, and he says reading plain text is boring. He's fairly intelligent compared to most people I've met but I'm at loss here. He never read in his childhood and apparently high school made him hate it.

He says he enjoys plot twists but it appears he really appreciates a good storyteller a great deal so I imagine it wouldn't be hard to make him shift towards narrative, with enough time.

What's a book that's relatively light to read but has a good story and deep characters? Or have you got a better suggestion?
>>
File: 1490955250237.jpg (48KB, 426x480px) Image search: [Google]
1490955250237.jpg
48KB, 426x480px
>>9318244
You a cute girl? I'm up to be your fuccboi instead. I am confirmed more lit than this joker you're talking about.
>>
oyasumi punpun
better than half of the drivel that gets shilled here, and it has pictures
>>
>He

Boys don't read fiction.
>>
Lolita
>>
Flowers for Algernon - by Daniel Keyes

That was the book that at least got this guy to begin reading.
>>
>>9318289
I dropped it when he stopped being retarded, it wasn't funny anymore
>>
>>9318293
That's when it really hooked me to be honest.
When the nurse talking about how it was a sinful act really got me thinking about the idea of if Charlie really is able to distinguish between right and wrong. But because Charlie had already eaten the fruit of knowledge should the damnnation rest solely on his shoulders?

For a first book to get into it is light, but also has a good amount of depth to keep a person occupied.
>>
File: 1484681205621.jpg (12KB, 198x273px) Image search: [Google]
1484681205621.jpg
12KB, 198x273px
>>9318244
If you want to take it slowly, give him Shogun by James Clavell. Bonus point if he has weeb tendencies. Only downside is the length of it and the beginning, but he'll get hooked.

Had the same problem with my gf, she had stopped reading "serious" stuff. I started with Shogun, and slowly built up over two years.

>tfw when she's reading Flaubert and really liking the prose
Next stop is Proust.

In general, until he actually starts to have the palate and develop a taste for actual writing, try to say close to his interests. Normies read for the universe, characrters, general ambience.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.