[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this book good, or just a meme? What are your opinions on it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 662.jpg (176KB, 299x475px) Image search: [Google]
662.jpg
176KB, 299x475px
Is this book good, or just a meme? What are your opinions on it?
>>
>>9317367
No good. It might be useful if you an autist that cannot experience empathy.
>>
Rand's fiction is poorly written, she knows no subtlety nor how to make a story flow.

Her philosophy is really bad, she is like a low quality form of Nietzsche and max Stirner that took pride in not being well read on philosophy. She is only popular because of cold war hysteria about the soviet union.

I recommend reading something by the 19th century russians Dostoevsky or Tolstoy instead. They knew subtlety.
>>
File: 1428628236420.gif (996KB, 150x148px) Image search: [Google]
1428628236420.gif
996KB, 150x148px
>somewhat interested in a book
>doesn't just read it to form his own opinion
>>
>>9317485
why waste my fucking time and just learn the general consensus, I'm not interested in the book, just how people feel about
>>
>>9317367
Made me want to renounce litteracy
>>
>>9317367
It's a strong plot with unidimensional characters. The philosophy behind it is strong enough that you'll get only insults from the leftists.
I found it worth reading but I know that some people just can't handle this one.
>>
>>9317367
The entire book is a meme made by Ayn Rand and the premise is her trying to see how many pages she can spin a fictitious story for, solely to convey one simple moralistic message she could deliver to the reader in a paragraph. Hate that bitch. It's Zarathustra but a thousand more pages.
>>
>>9317367
It's too long. Just read Anthem.
>>
For the first 300 pages, it's a rather good political thriller about society decaying. Stop reading when you get to the part where Dagny leaves her company to save it. After that point, the book becomes a complete chore and bore. You might get curious to know who is john galt but the answer is so boring and vanilla that it's an insult.

There's also the 3 hour speech which is interesting once you understand that Ayn Rand is talking down to 'SJW' collectivist marxist, the type you would see these days. On that front, she was dead on the money, but it feels jarring the first time reading as it's overly preachy and you don't understand how such group of person exist.

Most of Ayn Rand's philosophy makes sense when you understand that she advocates an idealized form of Master Morality in nearly all aspect. Everything she advocated on an individualism level was very good but outwardly, and mostly politically, she romantizied too much. Her political thoughts are mostly what people dislike, while ignoring her thoughts on individualism. It's ironically her biggest strength and flaw as a philosophy. It even lead to her downfall in her personal life. That's what happens when you go full Apollonian and disregard the Dionysus.
>>
>>9317367
Read it.

Just keep in the back of your mind that Rand spent the final years of her worthless life fighting for welfare handouts.

Now you get to critique the writing style, rather than being sidetracked by the idiotic political beliefs.
>>
>>9318058
>The State creates a ponzi scheme for welfare
>Rand tries to get back some of that stolen money
>S-s-s-she is f-f-f-fighting for welfare handouts!!
Whatever.
>>
>>9318058
>Just keep in the back of your mind that Rand spent the final years of her worthless life fighting for welfare handouts.
Every time. You people always have to bring the author when discussing their work, huh?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.