[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Psychology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 1762762930.jpg (280KB, 720x900px) Image search: [Google]
1762762930.jpg
280KB, 720x900px
Hello /lit/, so I want to start studying psychology
What are your recommendations for a good foundation?
>>
It depends what you mean by psychology. Do you mean modern psychology as it's practiced, or are you philosophically interested in any discourse on how the mind works?

If it's the latter, maybe the best thing you can do would be to get an historical appreciation of the field's origins in the late 19th century and its development in the 20th. That would include psychoanalysis, too.

I study philosophy of mind, and I find psychology really interesting because it was institutionalised and turned into a discipline (into several disciplines really) so abruptly, after such a chaotic and relatively brief period of gestation. The institutional side couldn't "see" the flexibility and chaos of the more rarefied layers, so it basically just shaved them all off, and continues to do that whenever some guy like Jean Piaget comes along with philosophical background. Even psychoanalysis does that.

Because caring for human minds is in demand (economically), it tends to produce armies of people who can implement the protocols written in some book but who have no understanding and no capacity for understanding other ways of seeing things. It produces regional ontologies whose ontical structures are very rigid.
>>
>>9316197
I´m interested in social psychology, how people interact, how they fetishes affect their personality and the meaning behind their fetish, how the interaction with other people affects permanently their personality and how this affects how they interact with society.
That kind of stuff.
>>
psychology is a pseudoscience created by the frankfurt school to pacify the white men of western Christendom and spread cultural marxism
>>
>>9316242
You might be more interested in social and cultural anthropology then. That well goes really deep too.

Check out
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Social_Construction_of_Reality
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Sch%C3%BCtz#Social_Phenomenology
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_L%C3%A9vi-Strauss#Anthropological_theories
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89mile_Durkheim
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcel_Mauss
>>
I was referring to this thread

>>>/t/734712
>>
>>9316292 >>9316299
Thank you, I'll start to get this.
>>
>>9316292
max scheler is also foundational. I'd read scheler before schultz before berger and luckmann.
>>
>>9316257
>psychology is a pseudoscience created by the frankfurt school

Have you ever read any text by the Frankfurt school?
>>
The thing is you can't actually enter into someone elses mind (unless you believe in telepathy) so you can't observe objectively what's actually going on inside there or really study yourself as a subject because the data you bring back can't be verifiable in a strictly scientific manner. So if you want to be "scientific" about it you have to end up embracing behaviourism and that's crude as fuck and flawed in all kinds of ways. Your only hope is to look into more fringe stuff by guys like Charles Tart if you have an open mind
>>
If you want to understand the human mind and human relations you have to understand biology, evolution and anthropology too.
>>
>>9316242
Start with Civilisation and Its Discontents.
>>
>>9316257
Do you also hate philosophy and metaphysics?
>>
>>9316422>>9316475>>9317691>>9317723
Ok. I'll check those too.
>>
>>9316197
Amen! Well put
>>
>>9318104
You can look at human behavioral biology on youtube, stanfor university put up robert sapolsky's lectures on it.
>>
unironically freud
>>
Pick up a college textbook, they generally will introduce you to the main topics (for example attachment, criminal psychology, etc) and schools (cognitive, biological, behaviourist, psychodynamic, humanist, etc)
>>
>>9319401
I think this is the best advice so far.

I know a few, I think decent, pop psychology books:
- Scott Barry Kaufman (intelligence and creativity)
- Dan Oreily (irrationality and deceit)
- Daniel Kahneman (cognitive biases)
That is what I can think of so far, I could check my goodreads for more. I also know a few evolutionary psych stuff.

Daily reminder that psychoanalysis and MBTI personality testing are considered pseudoscience within the field of psychology.
>>
>>9316257
How to trigger /lit/ by acting retarded
>>
This is a good thread.
>>
>>9319447
>Dan Oreily (irrationality and deceit)

xD
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.