[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Best Translation for (x)?"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1488824464817.jpg (127KB, 623x898px) Image search: [Google]
1488824464817.jpg
127KB, 623x898px
What is /lit/s recommended translation for Don Quixote? I'm stuck between Samuel Putnam and Tobias Pollett.

If you were also looking for a translation rec, go ahead and ask.
>>
what the fuck is up with her torso b shit is all twisted
>>
>>9314801
>american sees a woman with a proper waist
>>
>>9314822
its clearly shopped. how can you see her other boob past the first boob? why is her nipple on the side of her tit? shit is stupid
>>
>>9314835
>not beingoing able to turn the top part of your body without your fat burger gut swing around behind it
W E W
>>
>>9314791
The best English translation is absolutely by John Ormsby.

Read his Translator's Preface, in which he reviews every translation before his, and tell me it doesn't inspire confidence.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/5921/5921-h/5921-h.htm
>>
>>9314854
Agreed. This is the translation I chose after extensive research and reading passages from all relevant English translations.
It was the old Norton critical translation, which is expensive. But it is also the new 400th anniversary edition which is fairly cheap.
>>
File: Sir Quixote.jpg (133KB, 1240x520px) Image search: [Google]
Sir Quixote.jpg
133KB, 1240x520px
>translation
>untranslated title
Why is this acceptable
>>
Grossman is closest to the spirit of the work.

Ornsby is most accurate.

Take it as you will
>>
>>9314791

i read the rutherford translation only and it was fine.

i never really understood /lit/'s obsession with getting the "right" translation. unless youre doing disseminating work or the exception of an obviously inferior translation, it should be a practically arbitrary decision.
>>
>>9314928
It depends on wether you're a person who takes accuracy seriously. I think it's important for people to care what translator their reading from.
>>
I know Ormsby has a reputation for being very accurate, but I also found his translation more pleasant to read and funnier than the translations I compared it with.
>>
>>9314948
accuracy is not the only thing that is maximized in a translation. the term itself connotes many different things, either in textual expression or artistic intent. the term is further blurred in the example of verse.

take for example the transliterations of P&V and how hard a lot of people like to shit on them. for such an old work like DQ, there of course have been a wide range of translation that either emphasize the comedic or the tragic side of the story and that can definitely affect how the translation handles the text. still, a casual reader's experience will not be especially hindered by their choice in translation. if it really is so important, its safe to assume the reader will be reading multiple translations anyways.
>>
>>9314791
>What is /lit/s recommended translation for Don Quixote?

Edith Grossman's
>>
File: 1490241087760.jpg (59KB, 515x720px) Image search: [Google]
1490241087760.jpg
59KB, 515x720px
What is the best translation for Ibsen's plays, and why?
>>
>>9314791
The Putnam translation: preferred by Vladimir Nabokov. Putnam worked on it for 12 years.
>>
>>9314843
Gahahahagahahahahah.
>>
>>9314791
what do you look for in a translation? putnam is supposed to be the smoothest, grossman is supposed to be more literal, but I prefer raffel's because of the inventiveness. more menardian.
>>
>>9314791
I prefer the Grossman translation.
>>
This is now a Pevear and Volokhonsky hate thread
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.