[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grapes of Wrath

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

This is a dumb question but I'd rather ask than stay dumb. I have no knowledge of American history, are the events depicted in The Grapes of Wrath real? I'm talking about the migration of a large number of farmers' families after being evicted by banks, and them being treated like scum and put into camps. If it's real, when did it happen? How did it resolve? Any non-fiction book recommendations about that particular period of time?
>>
>>9314789
Yes
>>
>>9314789

The Dust Bowl.
>>
>>9314814
Thanks, looking it up now
>>
>>9314789
It was real to an extent, but remember Steinbeck was writing with a purpose.
>>
File: right_out_of_california_final.jpg (26KB, 240x360px) Image search: [Google]
right_out_of_california_final.jpg
26KB, 240x360px
>>9314789
The book is mostly true and took place in the 1930's. What followed was the New Deal of FDR.

I've been meaning to read a book called Right Out of California which is probably the most recent history of the period. The author is the chair of the history dept. at my uni and the book links the practices and problems of that time period to the following trends in American conservatism (up to 2015).
>>
>>9314789
i've always liked steinbeck but the last time i mentioned it here i got shit on
>>
>>9314789
The American essayist Loren Eisley has written about his time as a train-hopping tramp during the Depression-- stark, cool writing about the true horror (forget romance) of those hard scrabble times. An interesting film, which begins as a comedy but morphs into a social commentary of those times (and starring Veronica Lake in her prime) is Sullivan's Travels.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.