[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it insane to think that ancient philosophy and postmodern

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0718.jpg (154KB, 395x1341px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0718.jpg
154KB, 395x1341px
Is it insane to think that ancient philosophy and postmodern philosophy agree in many ways regarding the rejection of modernity? Medieval too.
>>
western philsophy maybe, but youre completely rejecting the european/african philosophies who embraced modernity with open arms

what are your opinions of 15th century taiwanese/bophadese philosophy Anon?
>>
>>9312247
It's not insane. In fact, it's right.
>>
>>9312294
I'm only 26 and too attractive to bitches to become a true philosophical wizard. I read mostly anglophone or translated. Slightly proficient in Latin.
>>
>>9312309
>he hasnt read bophadese literature yet

wew lad
>>
>>9312330
>stupid bophadese doesn't realize his shitskin philosophers aren't part of the canon
>>
>>9312247
ish

It's naive to pretend that things aren't different and that there isn't thousands of years of thought before them and now. Things have changed, the way we receive information and its relevance to us has also shifted. That being said.....

something you'll see a lot of in especially 70s criticism in post-modernity essays (so I'm thinking susan sontag and gerald graff but also the much more prominant background dudes like foucalt, barthes, ect) is that they'll argue that what was happening around there time is somewhat analogous to romanticism as a response to whatever came before it in the 19th century. Words like modernity can be troublesome because they're pretty much a short hand for a giant set of topics from german expressionism to russian futurism all the way back to whatever the french were up to. Half the time the authors will be trying to give a somewhat usable definition of modernity involving (and I'm stealing here from Călinescu) some combination of the avante garde, our attitude and development of what we consider kische, the more ubiquitous sense of decadence about it all, and whatever else.

In trying to tie all these things together we have figures like Kenner who point at Ezra Pound/Joyce and try to fit them into some grander multilayered narrative. In some ways the response to all these stratification/hierarchial shenanigans is that we have a sort of inbuilt response to snobbishisms and whatever we percieve the ivory tower to be. Not to be naive but there are elements of Marxism here that I don't have the energy (or knowledge) to really address properly but there's a reason we've also seen a sort of reimergance of theories that too many people assume are irrelevant in modern analyssis (marx, frued, all those dudes. for the amount of love Bloom gets on this site no one really gets into how straight up daddy-fucking strange his methods are)

I'm rambling, if anyone is actually reading and has something to ask I'll continue
>>
>>9312247
feels good
>>
>>9312414
bophadese NUTS suck my dick juheard
>>
>>9312451
Well whether you're a professor or a 16 yr old kid who reads as a hobby your opinions are steeped well enough in reason that its valuable to the mind (atleast my own). Something you might be forgetting though, is that Plato's writings had been forgotten for about a thousand years until around 1400ish when they were rediscovered and redistributed. Since most philosophs nowadays tend to read the entire cannon they take these older writings into account, and in turn, their writing seems to take a drastic move away from any paticular set of theories. Its like you said, most medieval philosophy was developed on itself, but a modern philosopher might re-open a topic thats remained undiscussed since the hellenic period (not that I could think of one). I guess what I'm trying to say is that philosophy used to exist in ages of modern and post-modern classification, but now its just whatever comes to mind gets written; with such wide acsess to these historical philosophical texts (which were probably somewhat proscribed back in the day), it might be impossible to categorize what and entire world-wide community is thinking about in our own period.
>>
>>9312247
ive heard the point being made that postmodernism is just modernism on drugs
>>
>>9312247
That's basically what is meant by the phrase "the regressive left."
>>
>>9312294

> African philosophy.
>>
>>9313536
Only practiced by Mexican intellectuals.
>>
>>9312247
no shit. pomo daddies like 'zsche and 'degger sucked greek cock heavy
>>
>>9312690
Could be. I mean, Frankfurt school is not actually PoMo but they start flirting with drugs actuallu. And the French... Well, you can imagine.
What for me is sure is that drug use has altered in some way the perception/sensibility of contemporaneous thinkers (even if they don't do drugs), and would be stupid to try to reverse this.

Also >>9312451 good post.
>>
>>9312247
it's insane to think anyone cares
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.