[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hunter Thompson said when he was younger he would copy an entire

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

File: hunter-s-thompson.jpg (18KB, 224x300px) Image search: [Google]
hunter-s-thompson.jpg
18KB, 224x300px
Hunter Thompson said when he was younger he would copy an entire book word for word (Great Gatsby and Sun Also Rises)

Do you think that would be completely pointless, or do you think it has some merit?
>>
It depends on the person. It could really change a writer's perspective on literature but it would mean nothing to a brainlet with a low attention span
>>
>>9310340
>listening to Hunter Thompson
guy was literally nuts
>>
It's pointless and most of all boring.
>>
>>9310360
name one genius that ain't crazy
>>
>>9310368
John Green
>>
>>9310368
Adolf Hitler
>>
>>9310368
me
>>
He simply said he did it because he "wanted to know what it was like to write a masterpiece"

He always said it helped him learn a lot about writing, but to each their own I guess.
>>
>>9310360
He was, But BOY could he rant about politics on another level that others wouldn't dare do at the time.
>>
>>9310368
Shakespeare. Dude so boring people wonder if he even existed.
>>
>>9310425
it's because he didn't. statistically it is impossible for someone to write that many plays in such depth of language. marlowe wrote most of his good stuff, breaksphere wrote hamlet
>>
>>9310432
>Tfw you're so incredibly talented and productive as a playwright, scholars centuries in the future claim that no one man could possibly be so great
>>
It just guarantees a close reading. Like, you can't skim past a paragraph if you're copying it down.
>>
>>9310466
>It just guarantees a close reading.
It really doesn't. You fucking zonk out really easily and you just copy it in a robotic fashion.
>>
>>9310340
In a time without ctrl+f or being able to look up a summary or synopsis quickly or access to thousands of PDFs on the techniques of good prose... yes... I think it had some merit, arguably.

I would never do that though, because I am a product of a different time.
>>
>>9310368
Name one human that isn't crazy
>>
>>9310476
You and I copy things down differently.
>>
>>9310510
You'd think he'd have better insults.
>>
>>9310381
>genius
>>
>>9310432
>statistically it is impossible for someone to write that many plays in such depth of language

Wtf kind of fresh-out-of-your-ass "statistics" can you justify this statement with?
>>
>>9310368
>5 replies
no one mentioned the Kanye reference
/lit/ stays trash
>>
>>9310864
>liking TLOP
stay pleb
>>
>>9310340
It has merit in the sense that the brain over time discovers ways to juice itself, ways that it's wisest to keep mum about. This is an actual, practical use of what we falsely style 'imagination.'
>>
>>9310340
Was it autism?
>>
>>9310340
Haven't you read Pierre Menard yet?
>>
>>9310340
Probably fun as fuck to do when you've been wired on speed and lsd for 4 days, but I don't see the point otherwise.
>>
>>9310864
Kanye is either a crazy genius or a regular dumb egmaniac, can't have it any other way
>>
>>9310864
kanye has never made even a decent album
>>
>>9310504
>thousands of PDFs on the techniques of good prose

Kek.

You definitely are a product of your time.
>>
>>9310340
Sometimes I wonder is this is what Gus Van Sant was trying to do with film when he made a frame for frame remake of Psycho.
>>
>>9310414
>He simply said he did it because he "wanted to know what it was like to write a masterpiece"
This is retarded. A masterpiece is the result of sometimes a hundred times the effort of thought than the amount of time it takes to actually put that thought to paper. Just because mime his writing doesn't mean you'll mime his way of thinking
>>
>>9310360
You mean figuratively
>>
File: 1490501584391.gif (987KB, 400x288px) Image search: [Google]
1490501584391.gif
987KB, 400x288px
>>9311688
jej, this
>>
>>9311293
"history, the mother of truth; the idea is astounding".
>>
>>9310340
It's probably a much more extreme version of "close reading", the same way rewriting your school notes is proven to be more effective than reading them another time
>>
>>9312012
Are you retarded? He obviously understood that, but copying the completed form can still be revealing.
Go away brainlet.
>>
>>9310510
What the fuck is that "w" word censored? Whore? Jesus, nothing else in that excerpt is blurred out.
>>
>>9310340
bach did the same for scores
>>
>>9310340
>Hunter Thompson said when he was younger he would copy an entire book word for word (Great Gatsby and Sun Also Rises)

as a wee child, i did this with a big book of dinosaurs.
>>
>>9310381
He has OCD.
>>
>>9311879
this fuckin b8 man
>>
>>9312500
>, but copying the completed form can still be revealing.

In what way that one can't get more insight into by actually analyzing the work?
>>
>>9313186
One is understanding the work by analyzing the work, the other is understanding the work by writing the work down.
What good does a comparison of those two do?
>>
>>9310864
no one needs to mention fucking anything nigger
>>
File: 1490312944521.gif (1MB, 200x356px) Image search: [Google]
1490312944521.gif
1MB, 200x356px
>>9312585
u wish
>>
>>9312542

probably 'wop' as in 'guappo'
>>
>>9310432
This is not true.
>>
I don't know
>>
>>9310340
It has an incredible amont of merit.

When you start off as a writer you are shit and need to consume as much as you can to begin to get good.

Rather than just reading, but rewriting someone else's work will necessarily force you to take in the text differently, and most likely in a far more substantial way into the nuances of the style

Any amateur should attempt to copy someone they admire to get a better understanding of why they admire them in the first place.
>>
>>9310432
Statistically, Trump doesn't exist because there's no precedent. Billions of years of the universe with zero Trumps and he just happens to start existing now? Bullshit.
>>
Tarrantino learned how to write dialogue by trying to recreate what he heard in movies. Eventually he realized that some of the passages he had written weren't even in the movies.
>>
>>9310432
Can't they tell it's one person by similar writing styles between each of his works?
>>
>>9312550
Can you expand it? English is not my first language.
>>
>>9311909
I may need to rewatch both. Thanks anon.
>>
>>9312500
I wouldn't go around calling someone a brainlet, have you ever read his writings? It reads like he wrote it in a session.
>>
>>9314071
>It reads like he wrote it in a session.
Is that a marijuana thing?
>>
File: 1470411927152.jpg (51KB, 490x578px) Image search: [Google]
1470411927152.jpg
51KB, 490x578px
>>9310360
>You shouldn't listen to people who I think are nuts!
>>
>>9310864
>noticing the Kanye reference

GET. OUT.
>>
>>9310432
>statistically it is impossible for someone to write 40 good plays in their life because I said so.
>therefore a different guy with a separate career (at least 7 plays, some long poems and translations) who died at age 29 must have done part of it.
>Shakespeare can't melt steel beams
What do you kids smoke?
>>
>>9310864
>muh kayne
go back to >>>/mu/ retard
>>
>>9310864
It's because we all caught the reference and didn't feel the need to
>omg dae catch this reference?
Jesus Christ anon
>>
might be a good idea for non-anglos to train their english writing. sounds time-consuming though
>>
>>9310432
I definitely think that a lot of Shakespeare is very overrated, but you're an idiot if you think that the man wasn't a genius,--and didn't write all of his plays.
>>
File: image.jpg (66KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66KB, 480x640px
Transcription of a novel would teach you a lot about the author's vocabulary and rhythm, it's almost reminiscent of constrained writing, although it's on a much larger scale.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constrained_writing
>>
>>9310360
yes, but in his case he was not less intelligent for it

he was probably just autistic though, read his son's bio of him
>>
>>9310368
my diary desu
>>
File: image.jpg (289KB, 620x917px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
289KB, 620x917px
>not taking the Marvel puzzle book challenge
It's like you want to fail...
>>
>>9311889
Insofar as tone can be discerned online, something about your tone tells me you see yourself in a superior light despite the fact that you have contributed nothing to the conversation, and are mocking me for the capital crime of looking at PDFs instead of manually flipping through physical pages.
>>
>>9310462
>ywn
>mfw
>mfw ihnf
>>
>>9313451
Thanks dude, that kinda makes sense
>>
>>9311688
Thompson later said why he did it, he said he wanted to feel what it felt like to write their words and hence learn from their style of writing

Makes more sense than any of these plebeian /lit/izens will ever come close to
>>
>(Great Gatsby and Sun Also Rises)

What an absolutely pitiful choice of novels. At least choose some authors with interesting diction if you're going to copy a whole book.
>>
>>9310432
Statistically I'd say it's more unlikely that so many masterpieces came out of this one time and place... without having sprung from the mind of one genius author.
>>
>>9310432
>statistically it is impossible for someone to write that many plays in such depth of language

Are you actually an idiot?
>>
>>9310340
Could help the writing speed, maybe help to learn sentence structure and grammar. Get some good writing habits. Other than that, it doesn't seem to have much point in my opinion besides perhaps helping to memorize the books he copies.
>>
>>9310609
He's being ironic and sincere at the same time.
>>
>>9311879
Agreed.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.