[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Witcher saga

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: images.jpg (18KB, 248x400px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
18KB, 248x400px
Can you redpill me on these books?
I want to play the games and I've read that they get referenced a lot, but I've also read that they are generic fantasy books and generally poorly written, and I don't really feel like spending money on that.
>>
>>9309669
You dont need to have read the books to understand the story of the games, the first one is pretty shitty though. I liked the books when I read them although they had their flaws a mary sue-character for example who gets added in later parts. Also keep in mind that I was 15 at the time. Its definetly a lot darker and edgier than classic fantasy, if thats a pro or a con is up to you. The german translation was pretty good from what I remember, cant say anything else about other languages. These books are not master pieces, far from it but you could do much much worse.
>>
>>9309669
Just try reading the book you posted. If you don't like it at first few stories in, drop the series. Keep reading until you stop enjoying them.
>>
>>9309744
the first game or book?

>>9309764
I figured I might do that as well
I just hate reading on a monitor and thought about buying the books directly if they were good, but I'll try getting it from the internet
>>
>>9309792
Literally buy an E-reader senpai. The cheapest ones don't cost shit and you don't have to deal with paper shit.
>>
>>9309669
>Can you redpill me on these books?
Ciri was supposed to be Geralt's romantic interest to challenge his rubris. The author either pussied out or the editors made him change it. The books became nothing like the author wanted and he ended up hating it.
>>
>>9311636

Really? I've never heard anything about that, but it would explain a lot of things. I thought it was strange how the short story made a point of her being "something more" than destiny itself to him, but then she's just something of a surrogate daughter to the end. And several times I felt the author stopped giving a fuck and was writing whatever random shit to meet the page count. Then again, he's insisted that Geralt and Yen were always meant to be together.
>>
>>9313051
There's something about Geralt that is very clear in the first two books: he does not believe in destiny. He believes with all his heart he can shape his own path, but, against his will, his whole seemed to be a byproduct of fate. He is a mutant, people would hate where he went; he is a witcher, he would fight monsters all his life, and die alone and unloved . He tried several times to make people like him, by being fair and righteous and even made some friends. He used the djin wish to make Yen fall in love with him, his most daring attempt to control his own fate. He did not want to accept his destined child, in fact he made the pact so he could turn the kid away when the time came, proving once again he could control his fate.

But think about it. Blavinken happened, he was not so righteous after all. Ciri found her way to him not once, but twice. The books were meant to show one could not challenge the sword of destiny, to show Geralt was wrong in his belief. What would be the next logical step? To make Geralt regret his Last Wish, for him to find his destined lover, in my opinion, Ciri, his destined child.
>>
=======> /sffg/ corral, manchild
>>
File: enough pepe.jpg (4KB, 252x161px) Image search: [Google]
enough pepe.jpg
4KB, 252x161px
>>9313410
Not everything has to involve sex with minors ffs
>>
>>9314677
This does.
>>
>>9313410
>>9313051
>>9311636
So stop reading after the sword of destiny? I enjoyed reading The Last Wish
>>
>>9317052
No, by all means keep reading. Just know that in some parts it's obvious the author doesn't give a shit anymore and is just writing whatever is on his mind, but some of that whatever is quite interesting, just has nothing to do with the plot. Also, since his original plot-line was scrapped, Geralt wanders around doing nothing for the rest of the books. I say it's still worth reading for Ciri, the Lodge and Bonhart.
>>
Plebs out

>redpill me

Retards out
>>
>>9317052

Yeah, just read the plot summary from wikipedia or something, to find out what happens in the saga. The only part where knowing the story really matters is the Blood & Wine DLC. But it's not worth wading through fucking five bricks of shit just to learn who's who.

TW3 explains you everything you need to know about Ciri and the Wild Hunt, but conveniently leaves out the part about her being a dumb, edgy, whiny cunt, so you might actually grow to like her.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.