[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do i enjoy prose?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3049.gif (32KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3049.gif
32KB, 750x500px
how do i enjoy prose?
>>
enjoying prose is the detached, nihilistic, cosmopolitan way of enjoying literature.

the plot of a story is the part that always has and always will fan the flames of your heart, fill you with emotion and linger on within you long after some prettily carved piece of prose has been forgotten due to the irreversible mutations and transformations of language.

that said, if you really want to enjoy prose, it should come naturally. if you don't, you're probably just not the right kind of guy.

I know how it feels. I like prose, but I can't enjoy poetry. I don't feel I'm missing out much, though. It's a big world, man.
>>
>>9308453
Just pretend to enjoy prose - just go "mmm, those are some good words man" every few minutes while reading. At one point, your enjoyment will turn genuine.
>>
>>9308912
kek

>>9308904
am i a lost cause if i care for character development more than the plot?

i can enjoy sonething that's nicely written. but shit like page long descriptions just seem pointless to me, no matter how many ((beautiful)) words you found in the dictionair to describe the scene.
>>
Subvocalize and enjoy the cadence/rhythm of syllables.
>>
>>9308904
fuck you
i am a big gramar and linguistics nerd and i get off on authors breaking the rules because i am a dirty man
>>
>>9309066
>am i a lost cause if i care for character development more than the plot

It's not a contest. You don't have to champion your favorite aspect of a novel as if it were a horse racing for a prize.
>>
>>9309076
i mean if i'm a lost cause for enjoying prose. i don't think one is superior to the other in any way.

>>9309075
how?
>>
>>9308453
Not like that, anyway.

In all seriousness, what is your difficulty in enjoying prose? What does appreciation of character development vs plot have to do with enjoying prose?

Not everyone seems to enjoy description, but that's to be expected. It's related to imagination.

Why force yourself?
>>
>>9309169
it just seems like there's something i don't get about prose since some people care about it a lot and i couldn't care less.
if it's so enjoyable, i can atleast try to enjoy it too, right?
>>
reading specifically for plot or prose is the most plebeian thing you can do
a book's merit is in its essence or spirit, such as idea and soul
>>
>>9309182
ofc i wouldn't read solely for prose. but i could certainly enjoy it a bit more along the way if i even knew what's enjoyable about it.
>>
>>9309177
There are many pleasure vectors where prose is concerned. Language, mouthfeel, scene construction, line tracking, voyeuristic bonding, conversational rhythm, and a host more. It's hard to know where to start so that it makes sense to you.

How would you describe your enjoyment of something you do enjoy, or how would you recommend someone else enjoy that thing?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.