[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Books vs. eBooks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 14

File: 9365641519_ab84697e21_b.jpg (162KB, 745x559px) Image search: [Google]
9365641519_ab84697e21_b.jpg
162KB, 745x559px
The age old debate. Weigh the pros and cons of both. Talk about which ones you prefer or use more, the differences you've encountered between the two when it comes to your reading (and annotating process, if you do that), etc.

Paperback vs. hardback? New vs. used? Great places you've found physical books for cheap? Or what about your preferred e-reader brand?

Let's have it.
>>
>>9307242
eb00ks by cause iam(me) fucking poor i dont have library-book-store near my house
>>
As someone who steals all forms of entertainment, books are the only exception. I can't really put a finger on why, but ebooks makes the whole experience of reading feel inauthentic. Many a time have I tried to read ebooks when I was out of money and the library didn't have the book I wanted, but I never get far.
>>
The formatting of ebooks usually triggers me.
>>
Physical books for sure. But I'm lazy/cheap. There's so many books i can download for free at the click of a button.
>>
If I could afford it and had the space I would go physical books no doubts.
>>
I have a shitload of trouble focusing when I read, but it's lessened when I use a device. Also don't have the space, we have 2 full bookshelves already.
>>
ebooks because I can get them for free.
>>
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/jan/30/jonathan-franzen-ebooks-values

Look at this article by Johnathan Franzen. It is nothing but an appeal to emotion fallacy.
>>
Film doesn't matter if it's digital, as we aren't realistically going to project it and I'm not even sure that's better. There's no benefit to purchasing a DVD or Blu-Ray and I'm looking forward to the day in 10-15 years when you can pay one subscription fee and stream the vast majority of film ever readily available in high definition.

I guess for storage purposes ebooks are better, but books are beautiful and nicer to hold. They're something which will always be relevant and will be of use to my children.

If I could go back, I would never have bought a film past the VHS era. These days I never purchase videogames because I'm an adult now, so who cares what kids do with them. They'll only be binned eventually anyway. It's not like you get quality boxes like I did when I was a kid that sell for a bit.
>>
>>9307242
This again? Okay fine.

-Books give the reader sensory pleasures (If you care about that shit). The feel of paper, the way it looks, the way it feels to turn the page, even the smell etc, etc.
-Books don't run out of battery
-A third party (ie amazon, kobo, etc) isn't involved when you read a hardcopy book
-It's much easier to mark up a hardcopy
-Looks good on shelves

-Ebooks allow you to have an entire library on hand
-Ebooks save your place for you
-Ebooks have internal dictionaries so it's much easier to look up words on the fly (my favorite function)
-I don't know why, but if you have trouble reading, Ebooks are much easier to read than regular books
-Lightweight
-It's very easy to pirate books

Pretty sure that covers most issues

>>9308247
God, he sounds obnoxious.
>>
>>9308247
Franzen is hokey and I don't think I respect him or his work, but his longform 'journalism' tends to be thought-provoking. i just ignore the prescriptions and think about the questions.
>>
>>9308247
>"If you go to Europe, politicians don't matter. The people making the decisions in Europe are bankers,"

I take back what I said. He is surprisingly redpilled
>>
>>9308278
>-I don't know why, but if you have trouble reading, Ebooks are much easier to read than regular books

I don't know why, but I found Pynchon's V. to be undreadable on paper but i had no trouble on kindle
>>
>>9308294
did you get one of those really old copies with the old ass yellowing paper and weird smells?
that's the copy i have and i hate those books for some reason.
>>
>2017
>Hasn't converted to ebooks
Wew
>>
>>9307295
same
>>
ebook if you are a consumerist brainlet.

book if you have any intelligence left
>>
>>9308662
I actually like yellowed paper (but not too yellow). The bright white paper of brand new books is off-putting to me.

I prefer paper, in the long term, for two main reasons: (1) digital files that are decades old become unusable/unreadable/inaccessible (a paperback that doesn't get soaking wet will outlast any website, e-business, and any of your electronic gadgets, including the screen you are looking at now), and (2) the fact that the internet is not guaranteed to be accessible in exactly the same way for the foreseeable future. Put every film and book into the cloud and it will all be lost if/when the shit comes down. The infrastructure that makes possible the enormous streaming/storage sites such as youtube is not as future-proof as you might think.
>>
I use both.
>>9308278
/thread
>>
If the difference between you enjoying a book and not enjoying it is whether you are reading off a screen or off paper, then the book is the problem.
>>
File: 1490771209958.jpg (54KB, 551x423px) Image search: [Google]
1490771209958.jpg
54KB, 551x423px
I've got a lot of thoughts on this.

I got an e-reader for my birthday, and didn't use it for 3 months. Then, I unearthed it, felt bad for mam, and bought a book I knew wasn't going to be amazing on it to save money. How to Solve it, by G. Polya.

Reading on the e-reader felt a little clunky at first, but I got used to it. Then I bought a couple of shorter stories, and found it just as easy.

For about 2 months I've not bought or read a single material book. I've just been engrossed in my e-reader. It's just better in so many ways;
>cheaper books
>arguably easier to read: don't have to hold the book just prop it and tap the screen
>no strain on the eyes, what a myth
>don't have to worry about a lamp or light to read from
>super long battery life (I have a kindle)
>I've been reading not ridiculously more, but certainly more

The only downsides I can see are the inability to highlight and fold interesting pages etc, which I like doing. Also, while I'm not a big show off so this doesn't bother me, I'm sure a lack of a tangible bookshelf with bother some folks.

Anyway, I love it. Highly recommend.
>>
Both.

I'd go full ebook if i could pirate everything (and you even can most stuff), but it can be hard finding a specific edition in ebook format, i don't like reading pdfs that make up a lot of ebooks, and a lot of the time formatting can be fucked up even if you buy a retail ebook.
>>
i wanted to buy a kindle because i had never seen someone in my town having one so
it turned out that i made the best decision in my life and started to recommend it to every single reader i met
if you live in a country where copyright laws ain't that tight, a kindle is the best choice for you
it saves you a lot of money and can read pretty much everywhere (even in brazil people don't take it as a tablet so feel free to use it in public)
physical books are not disposable like ebooks are, you can't just delete them from your bookshelf: you either have to sell them to a used bookstore or exchange it for something else etc
also, reading infinite jest or knausgaard 7-volume my struggle series feels exactly the same in terms of weight
a few years ago i hurt my wrist reading the goldfinch by donna tartt. if i had a kindle back then, that probably wouldn't happen
yes, it's kind of sad not having a fancy edition of the book hanging on your shelf but y'know... we gotta get rid of this materialism :-)
>>
>>9309432

Yeah, agreed, it's like fine print on every book, and the pages light up...the books don't depreciate, don't take up space, whole library with you wherever you go..with the 3G models use your phone as a hotspot and download books on the go (books are less than 100kb). Above all that its just a damn cool piece of tech if you can afford it. If you want to make reading a priority in your life, I would highly recommend an e-reader. Otherwise, if you can't afford one, at the end of the day, a book is a book is a book.
>>
>>9308728

What Is your point? You can get same information from both.
>>
>>9309466

Of all the things he spends on "brainless consumerism" (he's posting from an iphone or apple mac and weaking Nike shoes) an ebook to read on (read, books - as consumerism? can you believe it? -) is just a stretch too far for his pseudo mind.
>>
>>9308278
I actually find it a lot harder to read an ebook than a physical copy.
I do, however, use both.
>>
>>9309495

I think publishers and book stores make more from printed books, and they can control more of the market.

Ebook market is cheaper and less liable to commercialization.
>>
>>9307242
To be honest, I like having books in physical form just so I can display them and I think that some books are better off in physical form, but 9 times out of 10 I prefer using Kindle because it's just easier to use.

For instance, last night I read about 100 pages of the Hobbit while laying under my covers. Had I been using the book, I couldn't have done this comfortable. Book lights mostly are a shit.

Also I prefer not having to spend $100 for certain books when I can get the Kindle one for only a fraction of the cost.

There is one big problem with Kindle I have.

And that is I have too much to read.

I have so many Ebooks that I have problems figuring out which to fucking start reading, and therefore I don't read much, ironically because I have too much to read.

Is both an answer too?

I have the Hobbit sitting next to me in book form and my Kindle is on my bed with the Hobbit on it as well. I bought the Hobbit from a store last week and immediately 'pirated' it on Kindle(I'm not spending fucking money to get something I just bought again.)

I read the physical book outside and in the car and stuff and when it is appropriate, I read the Kindle version. That works good.

>>9308278
>Books don't run out of battery
This is another plus to physical books that I like. I hate having to worry about my fucking battery power, but honestly if I'm reading I just disable almost 90% of background services and that gives me an extra 10 hours of use. It's impossible to have a fully charged Kindle die on you in the middle of reading. It hasn't happened to me yet anyway.
>>
>>9309449
>He doesn't know how to use k2pdfopt to convert pdf formats to 6/10-7/10 tier formatting and then open Calibre and convert that to an epub/mobi and put it on the device that way
I pity you.
>>
>>9307242
Ebook pros:
-portable
-access to entire libraries for free or cheap
-if backlit easy to read in bed
-books delivered to you anywhere

The only thing missing is the feel of the book.
>>
>>9309519

Can we read the hobbit together under your covers?
>>
>>9309526
I do know, but it still fucks up the formatting

One of the most annoying things is notes. If it's good they're hyperlinked, but if not it's a lot worse than physical books as cycling through pages on an ereader is a massive pain
>>
Quality hardback>ereader>hardback>paperback
>>
I haven't made the jump yet to an e-reader. I still read some paper books, but I also read e-books on my computer. Once or twice a year I'll look at e-readers and consider buying one; then I look at the price, and I look at the screen size, and I just can't. I just instantly start thinking of other things I could throw $80 towards, like car repairs or bills.

I've heard e-readers are easier on the eyes than a standard LCD screen, so I've been thinking of getting one anyway because I get eyestrain and headaches at times. But I've seen a lot of claims of products that supposedly reduce eyestrain, but they kinda don't. Can anyone here with eyestrain confirm whether e-readers are less straining than a regular monitor? Maybe I can convince myself it's worth the price...
>>
>>9309466
ebook vanishes into 0s and 1s after use.
book stays.
>>
Ebooks for one time reads.
Physical books for textbooks, books you need to read multiple times to fully grasp and other books where you need to be able to quickly jump to the part you need.
>>
I find ebooks much more annoying to read. You can't open more than one page at a time with an ebook, which means you can't easily flip to the back to read notes or go back a chapter to reread something, etc.
>>
>>9307279
this
>>
Typeface and overall readability of physical books is superior. It's a no contest really.
>>
>>9309613
m8 you can put bookmarks in an ebook.
>>
>>9309639
Doesn't matter. Any ebook is a clunky piece of shit compared to a real book when it comes to anything that isn't just a straight read trough.
>>
>>9309650
See >>9309635

Ebooks aren'tt even superior for reading IMHO.
>>
>>9309672
For just reading they are fine and totally worth it. For anything more than that they are just not practical enough though.
>>
>>9309672

Ink and paper degrade over time. Ebooks are forever new with crystal clear and modifiable font.
>>
>>9309742
lol. i have a fucking first edition book from 1850s and it hasn't degraded for shit mate
>>
>>9309754

Maybe not to your shallow eyes, but science would degrade it.
>>
Ebooks got me interested in reading, and lit inspired me to read classical literature. All in all, it's been an enriching investment.

With ebooks I can search whatever I want. If I hit a word I don't understand I can get the definition on the spot. Also I can get books quick, like now, and hold as many as I want.

Physical books are good because I can flip back and forth easily, and I know where I'm at in the book. For some reason, knowing where exactly I'm at in the book is a thing for me. Kindle (((locations))) just confuse me.
>>
>>9307242
This is how it goes for me:
>Am interested in a book
>Download it as an ebook
>Read it
>If I enjoy it I buy a real copy of it (always hardback if available)
>If not, I delete it.
>>
>>9307242
Much like "tits vs. ass", it's a stupid debate. Get loads of both.
>>
Is a kindle paperwhite worth it?

Do I wait til black friday? Amazon seems to be jewish as fuck and doesnt include a charger
>>
>>9310047
>and doesnt include a charger
they add a usb cable. The port is just a standard mini usb, you can use your phone charger if you want to plug it into a wall, or buy one for about 6 bucks.
>>
Books. I don't have the same experience with an electronic book, and it doesn't satisfy my concerns when it comes to environment. I usually read old ones, so the second-hand market is perfect to suit my tastes. It's cheap, too. Also, hardcover. I cannot keep a paperback in my library.
>>
File: 1480209463682.jpg (69KB, 500x442px) Image search: [Google]
1480209463682.jpg
69KB, 500x442px
Ebooks would be great and viable if they weren't so god damn expensive
>>
>>9310241
>buying ebooks
>>
> e-books are the e-cig of books.

Discuss.
>>
>>9310310
> a less expensive alternative to a retarded habit
seems accurate
>>
File: wallpaper-1279357.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper-1279357.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
I have a shitty Nook Color. But I would be reading a real book right now if I didn't have uncorrectable bad vision with a big old blind spot right in the center of my POV that makes it impossible to read even a lot of large print books at any kind of decent speed.

The lit screen and adjustable font make it possible. But an eReader lacks that romantic quality of real book that you hold, and you can smell, and it ages, and you can highlight or ear-mark or set on fire if it pisses you off.

Fuck macular dysrophy.
>>
>>9307242
I'm tired of this thread. Read however the fuck you want. I use both.
>>
>>9309805
You can set your kindle up to show real page count. Just touch where it usually says loc to switch it up.
>>
I prefer both. I find the kindle is great for "beach reading" or other such laid back reading for enjoyment. For study or classics, I prefer physical books. Of course, I am odd. I have no problem reading shitty fanfiction on my phone.
>>
>>9308278
>-Books don't run out of battery
Most ereaders can last a week+ on a charge, not much of a chore to plug the damn thing in once in a while and most places in the world have electricity or you could have a powerbank while traveling.

>-A third party (ie amazon, kobo, etc) isn't involved when you read a hardcopy book
How's this any different than publishers or bookstores. Might as well bitch that books aren't printed off by the author in their kitchen.
>>
I'll admit i have never really tried ebooks, although when i was younger i did read a few shitty fantasy tie in stuff electronically (wouldnt be caught dead buying that stuff)

Have never really used a kindle though, so i cant really say how good it is. All i can say is that i dont really have any inclination to do so.

Apart from portability i cant really see any advantage to it, and unless i am reading a tome. i can generally shove the book i am reading in a bag or pocket no problem.
>>
>>9307242
buying --> physical books
everything else --> downloading ebooks

ebooks have no value

physical books double as decoration
>>
File: file.png (407KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
407KB, 500x375px
>no one is discussing which ereaders are worth getting

well? what are some /lit/ approved ereaders?
>>
>>9309608
Yeah I remember when I read a book on my Kindle and the data was just permanently destroyed after I was doing reading.

As opposed to my hardcover copy that never wears down.

Seriously, what are you even on about? The written content is the same.
>>
File: LatD Front Cover.jpg (156KB, 647x1000px) Image search: [Google]
LatD Front Cover.jpg
156KB, 647x1000px
>>9307242
One bonus about eBooks; they sometimes have free promotions where you can get ones for free. Case in point; one of mine are free right now, but only for a little while longer. March 30th the promotion ends.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M7S2Z0R

I realize that zombie novels, even nitty-gritty ones with heavy focus on realism and survivalism, get a bad rap on /lit/. Still, it's there if you want it, and it's there to shit on if you don't. For whose who might get it and read it, I hope you like it! I've heard good things thus far in regards to my writing. There's also a feminist who kinda/sorta gets raped, so really there's something in there for everyone to enjoy.
>>
>>9309604
I have to say, reading anything on a computer was always a pain. A kindle is something I can sit down anywhere with and just read, as if I had an actual book.

But reading some pdf on a computer or dragging a laptop around is just terrible. I can tell you I started reading a lot more since I got a Kindle. About the eye strain thing, on the Kindle Paperwhite you can lower the brightness to nothing and you have basically no light being emitted, of course you then need some illumination as if it was a real book. You can't do the same on a monitor.

So basically a Kindle can be used the same as a real book, no light emitted off of it. I'm sure that's less straining on your eyes than any other monitor or even tablets in general.
>>
>>9309742
>anon doesn't know about Library of America and Pléiade
>>
>>9310047
Got a 20€ rebate for Easter bargain.
>>
>>9309616
Why not? You can just go to a specific location/page/chapter on the book at any given moment. You might even be able to search a specific sentence or word on an e-reader device.
>>
>>9308278
Also some eReaders have built in back lights so you can easily read in the dark. I suppose you can also do this with books, but you have to buy a separate device.
>>
>>9311502
I have only had experience with the Kindle Paperwhite. (one generation behind the current model)

It's been great, really. I have my library on calibre on the PC, send whatever I want to it and I just read. Battery life is insanely long, it has the optional backlight for reading in the dark but if you want you can just use the sunlight and turn it off entirely. The whole "e-ink" idea works great. Any other tablet ends up having short battery life due to having to constantly power on a screen while you read.

The books themselves are easy to get. .mobi works great and .epub does too after a short converstion to mobi or azw3 (the proprietary format for it). The way I do it is like >>9309852
said. I have a massive library with pretty much every book that I could care to read in my lifetime from a torrent I found. Then I just send em to the Kindle and read.
>>
I've only just started using my gf's ereader (Kobo) for pdf readings and the occasional book for uni.

I still prefer physical books - they feel more comfortable in hand and I find it much easier to flick through pages and scribble notes on them; but I'm still glad I've started using the ereader. Way better for reading electronic files on public transport than other options.

tl;dr - utilising both is the best option imo.
>>
I don't like to have many possessions and I spend all my money on overpriced clothing so I pirate all my books on a kindle.

It honestly got me to read much more as accessibility and what to read next were no longer an issue, along with being able to read in bed in the dark every night.

Being able to look words up in the dictionary on demand has really helped build my vocabulary as well, I constantly check definition and enunciation of words I don't have fully down yet.

Plus being able to bring up footnotes on demand and make notes on passages really helps for certain books, ie the jest.
>>
File: 3.jpg (184KB, 1239x924px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
184KB, 1239x924px
>>9309635
>Typeface and overall readability of physical books is superior. It's a no contest really.

Not really. Einkers won't rival high quality hardbacks, but will beat paperbacks and many hardbacks as well. Fontwise, larger screens are capable of displaying comfortable 30-50px font sizes. That's huge improvement on what you see in print, where 8-18px is norm. Then there is no quality loss because of printing on low quality paper, and with cost effective ink that plagues all of the Penguin editions. One drawback is formatting that is often very poor, but then again, it's that's purely publishers that are to blame. For regular novels, format is flexible enough that it can easily duplicate paper books.

An example of good use:
http://www.feedbooks.com/book/588/le-myst%C3%A8re-de-la-chambre-jaune

The problem comes with complicated work, plenty of illustrations, formulas, annotations, and some poetry. There ebooks are still lacking. But it's only the displaying thing that's the problem, everything in print nowdays start it's life as ebook.
>>
>>9311629
one massive torrent of books?
>>
>>9311694
Someone compiled almost 2K books in Kindle format and uploaded it. Of course most of the books are series you probably will have no interest in, but I'm sure all the good stuff is there. It's a good starting point for having every book you could care for. Then anything else you'll have to manually find online I guess.

From my own checking of the books with some plugins for calibre, about 10 of the 2000 were broken and a few more may be weirdly formatted. But really, if you find a problematic book you just replace it with a better one. Small price to pay for having the giant e-library.

I know you just want a link. But I'm not sure I should endorse the piracy of over two thousand books.
>>
>>9311714
>But I'm not sure I should endorse the piracy of over two thousand books.
he says while seeding said torrent
>>
>>9311721
I'm not.

I can check if any book is there and upload it individually, if you want.
>>
>>9311733
nah I can find stuff
>>
>>9307242
now that i'm already here
can someone PLEASE upload an epub of Cixin Liu's 'Death's End'?
my stupid company blocks IRC clients and I can't get into #bookz
>>
>>9307242
>The age old debate.

I have no interest in debating it, but I can chime in and say that I do prefer having physical copies over digital.

Electronic devices fail, need maintenance, are fragile and sometimes involve DRM or other restrictive measures that control what you can do with content you've purchased, and some devices keep tabs on your reading habits so the provider can form an advertising bubble around you. All of these things make my uncomfortable. And it probably goes without saying that I am largely disconnected from the digital world as a result.

Physical books are prone to wear and tear, but I do feel I have a great more deal of (figurative) freedom with them. No one can control when and where I can read them, they don't have expiring licenses, DRM, etc.

>Paperback vs. hardback?
Paperback. More portable. Mini hardbacks are sometimes fine as well.

>New vs. used?
Used. They're going to develop wear and tear either way.
>>
>>9311783
Courtesy of MyAnonamouse.

https://ufile.io/c184d
>>
>>9311844
A LITERAL GOD
tyvm anon have another (You) >>9311844
>>
>>9308808
>yellowed paper
That's some patrician taste you got there

The only problem I have with my old, yellowed books is that the spine cracks uncomfortably and the paperback covers rip easily.
>>
pirate it and read it and if you like it you can buy the hardcover for your shelf

no point in paying for something you didn't enjoy
>>
>>9308244
What sites do you use?
>>
>>9313019
MaM.
>>
>>9313041
Thanks friend. Trying to access now. I'm searching for a textbook that google books lists at US $474
>>
>>9313084
libgen.io
>>
>>9313084
What is the name?
>>
>>9313099
Neat! Cheers!
>>
>>9313104
the law and policy of air space and outer space: a comparative approach
>>
>>9307242
I hated ebooks until recently. I got the cheapest version of the latest kindle and holy fuck, I have not read so much in the space of a month before.

I would say eBooks now. I especially like that I can sample anything on Amazon. But you have to have a reader that is not "bogged down" by "features". Backlights, waterproofing, high dpi screens are just shitty memes.

Reading by sunlight or a lamp is the way.
>>
>>9309604
>I look at the price, and I look at the screen size

2016 Kindle is perfect size. I think most brands make them around that big. I know nook has a bigger one. I would not want something bigger though. I would also consider something that has a decent sized bezel. They are not Tablet computers. 6-7 inches is the most comfortable.
>>
>>9309604
>Can anyone here with eyestrain confirm whether e-readers are less straining than a regular monitor?

I get headaches and strained eyes with low res screens because a mild farsightedness combined with above average vision (apparently I can resolve details at 6 meters that most can only resolve at 5 or someshit like that). Reading an e-reader for me is exactly like reading a book. It is nice.
>>
>>9309650
Brah, do you even read?
>>
>>9307242
if you read a shit ton, ebooks zero question.

I still buy physical books, I still buy a shit ton, most used. but the utility you get from carrying a good portion of you library digitally is a godsend if you are the type that does a large amount of work regularly and are constantly putting away or taking out another book.
>>
File: cry pepe cry.png (28KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
cry pepe cry.png
28KB, 300x250px
>>9311733
>>9311733
UPLOAD IT PLEASE
>>
well I got a second hand kindle strictly to read books for free
if a book was published in my country and I want to buy it I'll still probably buy it, I bought and read many physical books since I got my kindle, but books that are in english or are not going to be published/are not yet published I just download and read on the ereader.

It's the content that matters, form factor is secondary.
>>
>>9309573
this. im too autistic to handle the cover on a paperback slightly curling, so ebooks have been the greatest thing for me. If it's hardcover, i'll get it though
>>
>>9313281
>backlights are shitty memes
the backlight and holding on a word to get the definition are two of the greatest features of a paperwhite. I can lie however I want and not worry if there's enough light on the page. Also great when on public transport or walking home at night
>>
File: seniors.jpg (94KB, 564x846px) Image search: [Google]
seniors.jpg
94KB, 564x846px
reading the e-book and then buying the physical book to display on your shelf if you liked the book masterrace reporting in
>>
File: grinch-constant-teeth.jpg (20KB, 455x429px) Image search: [Google]
grinch-constant-teeth.jpg
20KB, 455x429px
>>9313522
brainlet get out
>>
>>9313522
>>9313569
It's respectable for someone to support their favourite authors/books in such a way. Be nice.
>>
>>9313522
I'm broke, but I'm running a list of worthy authors who's books I will buy when I get some moneys. That said has anyone seen any translation from Soji Shimada on any channel? I'm into some detective fiction work, and just near the end of the Yellow Room. Can't find anything from him in usual places.
>>
>>9315475
Soji Shimada - Tokyo Zodiac Murders by Soji Shimada
Japanese, crime/thriller, epub
epub | 3 comments
>>
damn
>>
going to be honest

I have tried reading on eletronic devices but I just can't, seriously. I recognize all the advantages it have, I don't mind if people like it or whatever, I just can't do it myself. I drop 90% of the e-books I try to read, especially if it is more than 200 pages long. Last e-book I read was hamlet, but it was very short so it was not a problem, but longer books....

>>9313522
thats so retarded I can't even

>>9314110
>reading books by authors not deceased, with very few exceptions
by the way I doubt you don't pirate something.
>>
>>9307242
>age old debate
>ebooks have only existed for a few decades
>>
>>9315981
I do. Movies, TV shows, stuff like that. I'm in a bad way right now, still in a slump in life, in fact right now it's gotten to a supreme low. Thankfully however I'm on the right track to improve things, and really I can't do much other than improve. I'm motivated, determined, and once I find myself with a decent amount of money, and I will, I will buy the DVDs of those movies and TV shows that I liked so as to support those who worked on them.

I once had a DVD collection of over 300, but they were all stolen. I once had a videogame and console collection that spanned about 11 years with... God... had to have been over 200 games easy, mostly PS2, but I'd believe it if it was over 300. Nintendo, SNES, N64, Gamecube, XBOX, PS2, and XBOX 360. Though to be fair, I did buy most of those games second-hand at places like EB Games or got them online used. So technically not REALLY supporting them, but still, better than outright pirating them.

That's my take on it anyways. If you pirate because you have no other way to access it and you really want to enjoy it, then do so, but if you get the chance be sure to buy the product sometime. People deserve money for producing good entertainment. Good entertainment that enrich people's lives.
>>
>>9316041
thats respectable.
>>
>>9316065
Thanks, anon. Looking forward to getting my life back on track so I can go back to collecting DVDs and firearms. I probably won't ever be into console games anymore though; computer games have taken my heart with their moddy goodness.
>>
Ebook readers are superior in both legibility and usability in every way imaginable, when compared to non-technical books. They are easier on the eyes, can be held more comfortably, are lighter and the books are cheaper. You can also pirate easily. They allow you to carry hundreds to thousands of books with you. You can just carry your entire library and read wherever whatever you feel like. The integrate dictionaries allow you to look up words on the fly. Footnotes can be included in the main text. You tap the number and a small window opens. You can do a full text search for words or passages.

For technical books, you will want to use a tablet, or still a paper book. Readers cannot display images or medium sized or larger tables. That is a result of the screen size and can't be helped. You also cannot easily jump around from one position to another, or write notes directly on the page. You can enter notes, but it's awkward and not very practical.

>formatting
People who complain about formatting are misleading also. A book with shit formatting is either self published by an amateur, a free book that nobody bothered to do anything on (think Project Gutenberg), or it is a pirated copy that was converted poorly.

99.9% of the people complaining about shitty ebook formatting stole these books, I'm certain of that. I've never had a bought ebook that was fucked up, though I don't doubt they do exist, but they are rare exceptions.

Another advantage or disadvantage is, that nobody can see what you read. I wouldn't read Lolita at work otherwise. But ti prevents people from striking up a conversation about your book.

Overall, I read far more than before I got a reader. It's so easy to just get it out whenever there's 5-10 minutes of time and read something instead of staring into space or dicking around senselessly on your phone.

>>9313281
>back light
It allows you to read under any light with zero additional aid. You will never get eye strain because you're in the shadow, or it's an overcast day, or you're sitting with your back away from the lamp.
You can read in bed with the lights out, which makes you get sleepy much faster than reading in a bright room.

During bright daylight, it increases the lightness of the screen so the contrast stays perfect. Yes, that's why you NEVER want to turn the light off: It optimizes the contrast based on the current lighting conditions and allows you to enjoy peak legibility at all times.

Only the tiny maybe top 5% of printed books can compete with ebook readers when it comes to the "print quality".

>high dpi screens
Allow you to read manga, improve text legibility beyond what you find in the average novel.

>>9309604
Eye strain is caused by three things mostly: low resolution displays, too bright back light or too small font size.
You can adjust the size of the letters and the brightness to your liking, and the resolution of modern readers is high enough.

Don't go for a reader without back light.
>>
>>9315501
Don't tease :(
>>
File: 74a9a966f9ab57c979533a416eedbc20.jpg (145KB, 2000x640px) Image search: [Google]
74a9a966f9ab57c979533a416eedbc20.jpg
145KB, 2000x640px
>>9316314
I'm defending ereaders wherever I go, but I must correct you on plenty of things there.

Books generally aren't cheaper. Ereaders can be perfectly fine for scientific book, but you need to open up your pocket to buy larger ones.

Formatting can be a bitch, and it doesn't depend only on conversions and pirated books. Many publishers are stingy and will give the job to the cheapest bloke around the corner. Spelling mistakes are more often, there are cases that publisher took scanned pirated text and put it into paid ebook with all the errors present. Covers and images are in low quality. Bad for maps, and covers occasionally won't even match those on paper because they can avoid paying royalties to painters. Generally you can expect great quality from blockbusters, and not so great from things that don't sell well. Gutenberg is a different thing. It all depends on the one that put the book together. You can find obscure novels that have better formatting than printed work, and well known work, that's pain to read. Three Man in a Boat is good example of former. (also an entertaining read).

Eye strain and low resolution display have nothing in common. I've held second gen Kindle and it's no different than Paperwhite in that regard, and resolution difference between them is huge. All it does is make fonts crisper. You've a valid point regarding backlight and eyestrain, but it's not as vital as you make it out otherwise. At least for me it isn't.
>>
>>9316704
>>9316704
>Books generally aren't cheaper.
On amazon ebooks are either the same price or cheaper.

>Ereaders can be perfectly fine for scientific book, but you need to open up your pocket to buy larger ones.
Those don't exist anymore or cost a fortune and have overall inferior tech. Just get a tablet then, and you're losing mobility and convenience either way, which kind of defeats the point of using an ereader over a tablet.

>Formatting can be a bitch
I had one book that was complete crap, where a publisher really just stole a pirated conversion or something. I don't recall seeing spelling mistakes in non-pirated books.

>Eye strain and low resolution display have nothing in common
I got pretty tired trying to read from an old ereader.

>You've a valid point regarding backlight and eyestrain, but it's not as vital as you make it out otherwise.
Reading from the dark screen of a back light less reader hurts my eyes as well. Maybe I'm just more susceptible to this, but if that's the case I'm a more precise measuring instrument.
>>
>>9316000
Is joke
>>
>>9317295
Do not question the trips of truth.
>>
>>9307395
/thread
>>
>>9308808
>digital files that are decades old
i replace my HDDs [actually my personal computer / laptop] every 5-6 years.
which means the digital data remains intact.
i still might have files from 2002.
>>
>>9311694
>>9311714
>>9311721
>>9311733
>>9313423

2.06 GB -

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:B31671AB37DC06E12D263D15B196C8DE96DA7944&dn=Kindle&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fzer0day.ch%3a1337&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fpublic.popcorn-tracker.org%3a6969
>>
>>9318356 is not >>9311629

I'd still like to know >>9311629 torrent with "pretty much every book that I could care to read in my lifetime"
>>
>>9318335
Replacing your shit doesn't protect your data. Keeping multiple copies in multiple locations does. Add some error checking and correction capability.

I'm glad nobody brought up up the file format fallacy. Many laymen think that you won't be able to read oplf file formats anymore, but that only happens to very obscure or proprietary formats. The chance that amazon's formats or epub become unreadable in the next 30-40 years is zero.

>>9318362
Those torrents are usually garbage. Poorly sorted. Shit inconsistent metadata. Inconsistent quality. What are you going to do with 5,000 books? Read every single title and author and then decide whether you want to read it after googling? Nobody does that. These collections are pathological digital hoarding behaviour.

Just get the books you actually want to read. There's webzones that specialize in peddling stolen books.
That reminds me: does the tracker bibliotik still exist? It is down whenever I look at it, but maybe they just changed the website.
>>
>>9318362
That is the torrent I based my original collection on. I'm now considering uploading my personal collection which can be considered an updated version of my torrent.

Because >>9318470 is only partially right. I don't see what's wrong with having a big collection. I'm not gonna read them all, I'm not gonna read 10% of these books. But it took me an hour to download and another 3 to fix it with scripts so all the books had the proper metadata, good publication dates, covers, tags relevant to the book and were linked to their Goodreads counterparts (also proper ISBN for most of em).

So yeah, I decide on a book to read, then I check if I already have it. If I don't, which hasn't happened yet, I will download it elsewhere and add it to this virtual collection and properly tag it.

Basically, I have my own library and every time I wanna read a book I check if that book is already in there. I guess real life librarians are pathological hoarders for having all these books around and sorted that they probably won't read.
>>
>>9318749
>the books had the proper metadata, good publication dates, covers, tags relevant to the book and were linked to their Goodreads counterparts (also proper ISBN for most of em).
upload that shit.
and post magnet here.
>>
File: 2017-03-31_11-13-42.png (276KB, 1920x1043px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-31_11-13-42.png
276KB, 1920x1043px
>>9318765
I might. But first I'd like to make sure it's good enough quality because I'm afraid it may keep getting shared on the future. Give me a list of good books, something like top 100 that I can compare it against and see if it's all correct. Maybe name some books of your own, I dunno.

Have a pic of the holy book of /lit/ for an example of how the library looks like.
>>
File: calibre_2017-03-31_11-16-56.png (294KB, 1337x722px) Image search: [Google]
calibre_2017-03-31_11-16-56.png
294KB, 1337x722px
>>9318784
Also I should add the page count is usually incorrect, because it's hard to estimate the proper pagecount on an e-book version depending on formatting. That's not part of the metadata of the book though, it's something from calibre itself.
>>
>>9307242
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/aug/19/readers-absorb-less-kindles-paper-study-plot-ereader-digitisation
>>
>>9318784
well, i do have a list of fiction books i made that i wanted to read before i die. it's an excel file, and contains books arranged age-wise - as in what books should be read at what age - i wanted to arrange them by lexille level, but never got around to it.

let me upload the excel file to google drive and i'll post the public link here.
>>
>>9318825
Sure. I have to go for now but I promise later on today I'll look into it. Anyone else who wants to chip in suggestions and lists of their own, feel free to.
>>
>>9318844
here's my list -

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1f6NUPsO2BPRAVWZmGDl4SZCxQ8kGM4HOKdZ4qFx4ohk/edit?usp=sharing

i'd like if /lit/ used this list as a base and improved it with lexille levels and added/appended/voted their chosen books in/out of this list.

I want this to be /lit/'s definitive fiction list for all ages!
>>
>>9316983
>On amazon ebooks are either the same price or cheaper.
I've found plenty of new books on The River that cost less than the ebook version. There are also loads of like-new second hand books that sell for pence.
>>
>>9318904
If you bring up second hand books, then I'm allowed to bring up unauthorized copies of ebooks, which cost nothing.
I dislike the term piracy and the verb pirated. It's an unauthorized copy, not a ship you captured or something you stole. The term is a piece of copyright jew psyop.
>>
>>9311502
kindl 5th gen, It's cheap and it has good battery, also I'm poor and a drug addict so its perfect for me.
>>
>>9318875
>https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1f6NUPsO2BPRAVWZmGDl4SZCxQ8kGM4HOKdZ4qFx4ohk/edit?usp=sharing

i've allowed editing now.
let's make it a good one.!
>>
i like both

mostly read on my phone these days because i like to travel lightly
>>
>>9311502
The Paperwhite is hands down the best bang for buck reader. It has all necessary features and works nicely.

The Voyage is an upgrade for people who read a lot. The plane glass screen is wonderful, allows you to keep the thing perfectly clean, no dirt in the corners like with the Paperwhite. The page turn buttons are great, and I'd love to see them on every reader.

One problem with the Voyage: The official cover is garbage. Buy third party if you want one. I can go into detail if anyone cares. The Paperwhite cover is excellent. Maybe a bit heavy, but beautiful, sturdy and a joy to touch.

A problem with all amazon readers is the extremely inconsistent screen quality. You have uneven lighting and discoloration. Since it's amazon, you can return the reader until you get one that's fine, or you just buy five. Then you'll probably have one with a perfect screen among them and return the rest.

The Kindle Oasis is a downgrade compared to the Voyage. It is different in some ways but inferior in others. I can't think of why you would buy it. Maybe it's more comfortable to hold? But it's inflexible in that you can only hold it in your right hand. It's a weird reader that doesn't need to exist.

I don't know what reader you can buy for less money than a Paperwhite, that is still good, because I consider light an essential feature and you can't judge screen quality, speed and touch screen quality from pictures alone.

I've seen people recommend Kobo readers, but I haven't yet talked to someone who could compare them to a Paperwhite. They look like they have similar features for a similar price, but design characteristics that can't be judged from data sheets alone are important for readers, so nothing can replace personal experience.
>>
>>9307242
Kindle

Pros:
>Easily portable
>ebooks are literally free, or just a few dollars

Cons:
>no book smell
>not visually aesthetic
>format for some novels are atrocious
>feeling of authenticity is almost absent
>if the kindle breaks at least you have the cloud? (Kind of a pro)
>you have to charge it

It really is just a matter of opinion, I prefer physical copies, but I have a few ebooks in my phone.
The literal best thing about ebooks is that they take up zero physical space.
>>
>>9318914
Yarr harr fiddle-tee-dee
>>
>>9319760
>not visually aesthetic
Not even Homer was this blind, or this gay.
>muh authenticity
If you're not using unfired clay tablets you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>9318875
huh
>>
>>9319126
im thinking about the Kobo Aura ONE but it's a little expensive
>>
>>9320050
Why that and not a Voyage?
>>
>>9320063
larger screen for manga
>>
>>9320074
That makes sense. I feel like the Voyage is just barely not big enough to display manga big enough to read things without killing the eyes. But I don't know whether the Kobo would be big enough for that. It sucks that the Kobo doesn't have page turn buttons, and instead this kinda useless water proof meme.
>>
>>9320093
i'm having a look at Onyx Boox right now because they have even larger screens. I watched a video of a jap reviewing his kindle paperwhite for manga and they japanese characters are unreadable even with such a small difference between the original manga (8") and the paperwhite (6")
>>
>>9320114
Why don't you buy a cheap tablet instead of an ereader? You'll get a lot more functionality for a similar price.
>>
>>9307242
Kindle Fire is super simple and convenient rather than being convoluted and finicky, as many here seem to be claiming about ebooks. Personally I have no reason to return to books. They feel awkward to hold in many cases, though that tends to just be my old books. If there were to be a new instalment in a series I loves, I might get the book instead.
>>
>>9320130
i don't want to fry my eyes from long periods of reading, and i like the long battery life of ereaders.
I was thinking about buying a cheap one of each, but I doubt I would use a tablet over a laptop.
It's quite annoying how kindle dominates the market for this
>>
>>9319126
>The Kindle Oasis
How many special people read?
>>
>>9320154
Eye strain is a result of too bright back light, too small text, awkward formatting, stuff like that. You can read from a tablet just fine if you set it up properly (for some reason the default is often way too bright, looking at my new monitor felt like I was burning the eyes out of my skull until I adjusted it).

If you buy an ereader for manga, it will be very expensive and subpar for reading books. The bigger a device, the more awkward it will be to handle and the worse the legibility of text will become (a line of text shouldn't be long or it will be unpleasant to read it).

It also depends on where you want to read. If you just read on your couch, the disadvantages of a tablet (size and battery life) will be less problematic. Regarding battery life: a tablet will last in the ballpark of 8 hours. You charge it every night and you can use it while it's plugged in. You can also use it to browse the internet, communicate, watch videos, streams, listen to music and do all kinds of other stuff.
A reader can really only display text and black and white images.

You can test tablets by buying one from amazon and sending it back after a few days if you don't like it. In my state I can keep it for two weeks if I want to. Maybe other stores are that nice too, I don't know.

If you buy a cheap device, make sure it has all the features you need and don't be afraid of sending things back if you don't like them.
>>
>>9307242
For short texts (poems, aphorisms, short essays), ebook is really cool (I had an old Sony that I changed for the new Kindle Paperwhite).
For long texts (novels, philosophy, history, etc.) I prefer quality paper books with a proper introduction, notice, notes, etc. at a convenient format and durable quality like La Pléiade or LoA.
I also love big art books like Taschen.
>>
>>9320237
Novels as in genre fiction...?
>>
>>9320250
As in long continuous texts that sometimes require reading notes.
>>
>>9320343
Do you write into the books?
>>
I use both. Ereader on my phone so I can read without my glasses in bed before I fall asleep. Buy my books secondhand or use the library. Torrent epubs.
>>
>>9320250
>Novels as in genre fiction...?
How about novels as in novels.
>>
I've been wondering about getting an e-reader but also want to start getting comics digitally because of space
Any of these e-readers good and support color, etc?
>>
>>9320557
There are several good models, but none of them support color due to the screen technology used in all of them. If you want color, you must use a tablet.
>>
>>9320590
Damn shame, but thank you for your time
>>
You can burn one of those quaint old paper kindles if you need to.
>>
>>9320218
thanks. There are a lot of books i want to read on e-ink anyway. I may end up getting a tablet in future if necessary
>>
>>9309432
>inability to highlight
You can
>>
>>9320437
I think there's a meme going around on /lit/ that genre fiction is a meme.
Thread posts: 167
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.