[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>the controversy continues as to whether or not it is sexist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: 5jBBBBB.jpg (102KB, 1280x730px) Image search: [Google]
5jBBBBB.jpg
102KB, 1280x730px
>the controversy continues as to whether or not it is sexist (or discriminatory) to use the third person singular masculine form when one intends to include both the meaning of he and she, as in
>When a person first arrives in a new country, he has many adjustments to make (use of masculine)
>for now, the controversy will have to be resolved by each individual. Stylistic alternatives are possible and often preferred:
>When a person first arrives in a new country, he or she has many adjustments to make (use of 'he or she')
>When a person first arrives in a new country, they have many adjustments to make (use of plural)

Which varioation of a pronoun do you prefer? Which one is the most literary?
>>
File: 1436989071061.jpg (79KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1436989071061.jpg
79KB, 960x720px
Ugh, who fucking cares
>>
>>9305891
>>
>>9305891
>>
>>9305882
"they" is obviously the best compromise
>>
>>9305891
>>
>>9305898
>>9305903
>>9305990
>>
>>9305882
When a persons first arrives in a new country, one has many adjustments to make.
>>
>>9305891
>>
>>9306001
This one
>>
In Sweden we formed a third word, combining "hon" (her) and "han" (him) = "hen".
/pol/ tried to make this into some "Sweden is a crazy radical feminist country"-story, but it was really just out of convenience. And it is so convenient! Once you get used to it, you love it, text flows so much better.

Maybe try that, Anglo-friends.
>>
>>9306067

We have "they/them" you retarded cuck.
>>
>>9306074
"hen" isn't "they/them"...
See:
>Him or her was saying that...
Becomes:
>"Hen" was saying that...

It's not implying there's both a him or her, just that the gender is undetermined, and that it may be either way.
>>
File: 1232145.png (375KB, 485x581px) Image search: [Google]
1232145.png
375KB, 485x581px
>>9306101

>Him or her was saying that...
>"Hen" was saying that...

I hate you, Sweden.
>>
This is a non issue in european languages where the pronoun simply takes the gender of a noun 'person' and everyonr is happy.
This is what you get for being so PC, anglocucks
>>
>>9306116
We can live with that.
>>
>>9306125
It's sexist that "poeta" and "nauta", both first declension nouns that are usually feminine, are masculine in Latin.
We're the Romans saying that women can't be poets or sailors? Sexist.
>>
>>9306151
>using sexist unironically
back to ______
>>
File: 1357454398267.jpg (2MB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1357454398267.jpg
2MB, 3000x3000px
>>9305882

>mfw when your textbook refers to "person-made disasters" instead of "man-made disasters"

Why is this allowed?
>>
>>9305882
>every noun in your language has an inherent sex assigned to it
>you can't argue over what pronoun is best because there is a single grammatically corect option
>feminists propose introducing a female counterpart for each male noun through adding a suffix
>new words sound fucking ridiculous
>>
>>9306101
>It's not implying there's both a him or her
"they" doesn't do that either (necessarily). In OPs example it doesn't.

"They" is fine.
>>
>>9306151
It isn't because pretty much every noun's basic form is masculine, so by your standards it implies women can't be anything.
>>
>>9306001
When first arriving in a new country, one has many adjustments to make.
>>
>>9306101
>>Him or her was saying that...
that's not even a proper sentence
it would be
>he or she was saying that...
which gets replaced by
>they were saying that...

I can't think of any instance in which it does not work
>>
>>9305882
I use the masculine form whenever the gender is unknown. It sounds better.
>>
>>9306067
>/pol/ tried to make this into some "Sweden is a crazy radical feminist country"-story

You're literally reworking grammar to appease people who are uncomfortable with the dominant masculine singular form, if it was a matter of convenience you'd just stick to 'he/him'
>>
>>9305882
I'm not a /Pol/tard, but forcefully modifying language because of petty reasons has always sounded kinda silly to me, since:
-It does not actually help anyone: sexism, if there is any, is not gonna decrease because you invented a new neutral pronoun.
-The new words they come up with sound horrible most of the time.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.