[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this worth reading?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: download (1).jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
5KB, 225x225px
Hi /lit/ I have found myself becoming more interested in religious stories and spirituality I wen't to a catholic high school but haven't touched a bible since then.

There are so many different versions and revisions of it, I am unsure where to look. I don't need the dumbed down american version, but then again I can't read latin.

Also is it something you can just read through? Or does it break up into stories that dont follow each other?

Or should I just put it in the trash and look for other recommendations? Thanks.
>>
>>9299602
How can you read anything without at least familiarity with the bible?

>Also is it something you can just read through? Or does it break up into stories that dont follow each other?

It's a hodge podge. It doesn't follow single plot line.

Get your hands on a study bible. One of the easiest mistakes to make is getting a cheap/free bible that has nothing to help you make sense of it. A study bible will help you by explaining the who, what, when, etc. of each book before you start reading it.

That way you know things like the book of Philemon was a letter by Paul written to an individual, while Acts is a story about the early church (and particular St. Paul) written by Luke as part of his writing Luke-Acts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke%E2%80%93Acts

A normal generic bible will just present the books without mentioning how and when they appeared.
>>
>>9299660
Like I said, I wen't to a catholic school so I have some familiarity with it.

Being an angsty teen I wrote it all off as boring and was never interested.

But as I've gotten older I've become more interested in the stories and the deeper meanings behind them.

I'll look into seeing if I can find a good study bible. Thanks for the rec.
>>
>>9299602
>I wen't
>>
>>9299602
I wanted to ask the same question. Some people say KJV or nothing. Is this correct? And are there any study bibles you could recommend?
>>
>>9299602
>Grab one bible, any bible (in a language you can understand).
>Open it randomly
>Go back to the start of the chapterand read it

Alternatively,
>Start from the beginning

Or, even better,
>With the GREEKS

(I had to).
>>
>>9299602
>>wen't
>>
>>9299861
>>9300001
Catholic school education m8's
>>
>>9299602
We already have a thread dedicated to this sort of discussion >>>/sffg/
>>
>>9301539
That's not worth a fedora tip, put more effort into it.
>>
>>9299869
KJV is regarded as the most beautifully written, but it can be hard to understand, especially for a beginner. Start with NIV or NRSV. Get the Harper Collins Study Bible or New Oxford Annotated.
>>
>>9299869
Only disgusting proddies read KJV
>>
>>9299869
Depends on why you're reading.

KJV is the basis for so many quotations in English literature and worship that to read another version is kind of like choosing a knock off.

Unless you're reading for religious purposes, then >>9301651
>>
>>9302161
>Only disgusting proddies read the Bible
ftfy
>>
>>9299602
piece of trash fiction
>>
>>9299602
the most influential and widely published book in human history. no i don't think it is a good idea
>>
the only version worth reading:

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=GqCXdIpMyi0C&pg=PA733&lpg=PA733&dq=worldzhong&source=bl&ots=sxcNQLcols&sig=KERtOvzR24VHxHB2kE2TMadJoL4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-wcbaxtTSAhUCvbwKHVElB3w4ChDoAQgwMAc#v=onepage&q=worldzhong&f=false
>>
>>9302712
Thanks for your input
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.