[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What Bible books are necessary for reading the Divine Comedy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Michelino_DanteAndHisPoem.jpg (40KB, 300x243px) Image search: [Google]
Michelino_DanteAndHisPoem.jpg
40KB, 300x243px
What Bible books are necessary for reading the Divine Comedy? What religious knowledge should I have?
>>
Seconded.

Reading Bible atm and want to read Divine Comedy afterwards. Is there any other important influences/references I should read beforehand?
>>
The Divine Comedy is basically just Biblical fanfiction. You just need to know the major players.
>>
If you live in a Christian country you already have enough knowledge. I've only read Genesis, one of the gospels, and Romans, and had no problem understanding anything, but if I'd not read those I'd most likely have understood everything perfectly well anyways.
>>
Kazantzakis wrote an introduction about it in his translation, it contains succintly all the information you need. You should look that up as a first step.
>>
Just get a good scholarly/annotated edition famalam
>>
>>9298977
Aquinas' Summa Theologiae
>>
Borges' advice for OP and others:
>...I would like to insist that no one has the right to deprive himself of this pleasure the ― Commedia―of reading it in an open way. Later come the commentaries, the desire to know what each mythological allusion means, to see how Dante took a great line of Virgil and perhaps improved it by translating it. In the beginning we must read the book with the faith of a child, abandoning ourselves to it; then it will accompany us to the end. It has accompanied me for so many years, and I know that as soon as I open it tomorrow I will discover things I did not see before.
>>
File: slavoj vivec.png (846KB, 600x834px) Image search: [Google]
slavoj vivec.png
846KB, 600x834px
>>9298838
>tfw the divine comedy is ancient fanfiction about a poet traveling to a fantasy realm he had been brought up to believe in with his favorite poet of yore.

>tfw if you wrote a story about how you and Isaac Asimov travel to the realm from Hellraiser together it would never fly, no matter how well written, let alone become a praised piece of historical art.
>>
I took a course on Dante in uni. We used the Princeton Dante Project for our reading of the text.

Danteworlds is another good resource.
>>
If a work wholly depends on references, then it's not great.
>>
>>9299264
pretty simplistic, dude. the Commedia is much more than that.
>>
>>9298977
Ovid's Metamorphoses and Virgil's Aeneid.
>>
>>9299252
ok buying weed and going in fresh
>>
Just get a good annotated edition like Durling or Singleton. It'll contain the references you want.
>>
>>9299252
Did he read it in Italian? (fuck off pedants)
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.