[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

White Noise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: White Noise.jpg (88KB, 264x400px) Image search: [Google]
White Noise.jpg
88KB, 264x400px
Has anybody read this? What does /lit/ think of this novel. Is it more relevant as time progresses?
Also, any recommendations are highly appreciated.
>>
it's very cartoon-y.
It's okay. Entertaining but maybe a little aimless.
>>
>>9297165
See I found it cartoon-y in a good way. Kind of like a sitcom with a crumbling society as the foreground. A wholesome downward spiral of existence.
>>
One of the comfiest books I've ever read. The toxic waste incident and every passage describing Babette feels like Delillo tapped into the common human mind and produced pure experience. I've felt the same with other novels he's written; they'll just be meandering along, not particularly great or anything, but then he just manages to pull the most incredible prose ever seen in American fiction out of his ass and put it on the page.

Definitely a writer with flashes of extreme brilliance
>>
>>9297198
>cartoon-y in a good way

You are a retard.
>>
>>9297370
I concur with this. I thoroughly enjoyed his view of humans relation to death, and the dependence we have on substances. Plus, anything the protrudes from Murray's mouth is pure genius.
>>
>>9297385
The surrealism within reality, is more or less what I mean. Seemingly putting a heavy predicament into a lighter setting.
>>
Read it a few months ago and loved it. I really enjoyed the stylized dialogue and found the book unexpectedly funny. Murray = best character. The airborne toxic event chapter was very gripping and I read it all in one go. It did give me a ton of existential crises though, while I was reading it and for weeks after
>>
>>9297370
I picked up Underworld in a second-hand book store but haven't opened it yet. Can't I expect something similar? How does it compare to his other works?
>>
>>9297424
Not to sure, that one is definitely on my list, along with High Rise. I read Point Omega not long after White Noise, on account of how astounding I thought White Noise had been. But Point Omega was a unfortunate disappointment compared to his older work.
>>
>>9297422
My favorite quote by Murray,
“Murray said, ´I don´t trust anybody´s nostalgia but my own. Nostalgia is a product of dissatisfaction and rage. It´s a settling of grievances between the present and the past. The more powerful the nostalgia, the closer you come to violence. War is the form nostalgia takes when men are hard-pressed to say something good about their country.´”
>>
>>9297163
It's alright. There's a couple of passages I love like the Elvis fulfilled the terms of the contract bit that are amazing.
>>
I liked it. People generally love DeLillo, or find his dialoge annoying. Read the first 5 chapters (They probably amount to less than 20 pages), if you like them, finish the book (which gets gradually better and better) then read 'End Zone' (by DeLillo as well).
>>
>>9297424
I'm >>9297370
Underworld is incredible, but is emblematic of what I was saying about flashes of brilliance, but not necessarily consistency. There are two events in particular in Underworld that are incredible; one at the very beginning, and one later on that was reproduced as a short story called 'The Angel Esmeralda'
>>
>>9297163
the penguin headquarters sees all
>>
>>9297401
Actually, cartoon-like is a fair assessment on other grounds. Like Nabokov's Laughter in the Dark or Faulkner's wonderful book The Hamlet, coloring is overbright, and the action is almost too 'thematized' or thematic. Clearly DeLillo was attempting to do something different in this book so far as its composition is concerned, than in either Libra or Mao ii, for instance, where the characters are less stylized. And I think it works, having enjoyed it as much as the other two.
>>
>>9297163
I didn't like it all that much. It felt very heavy handed, and like a good version of Franzen with a 'message'.
>>
>>9297370
> white noise is comfy

has this word lost all meaning or are you reading another book by the same title? it's extremely depressing and hits too close to home. a great book, but not comfy at all.
>>
a mediocrity that could have been done in 150 pages

airborn toxic event was a good section but left me irritated at the rest of it being lacking

for the most part it's heavy handed points and not particularly eloquent prose
>>
>>9299475
read it again, delillo doesnt make mistakes, his mistakes are portals of discovery
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.