[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Notes from the Underground

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

Has anyone read it?
When i first did, I cried (which doesn't happen often). I felt frightened and ecstatic. A russian dude had described my psique to perfecion 150 YEARS AGO.

It sounds dumb now, but back then i thought I was saved, that I'd be able to get help.

Well, we know how that goes.
The person that has empathized with me the most is Fyodor Dostoyevsky, some russian dude that lived in the XIXth century, and that's where I'm at now.

Any thoughts?
>>
>>9296832

You're supposed to resent the narrator senpai. That's the point. If you are the MC from Notes you've got some serious fucking issues.
>>
>>9296863
i def do. i just wish i had someone to talk to who felt the same
>>
>>9296832
Read it the other day. Did anyone else think it was hilarious? It reminded me of A Confederacy of Dunces
>>
>>9296863
Honestly why else would someone post on 4chan. I would argue that the point Dosto tries to make is not to make us resent the underground man but to point out a disturbing lifestyle emergence in Russia during that time. Anyone can see how much that lifestyle isn't healthy, but at some points especially during the dinner scene I really had to put the book down because of how much I suffered from secondary and primary embarrassment.

But OP, you should read Pessoa's Book of Disquiet and Oblomov. Heck, even throw Kafka's Metamorphosis in there. But be warned that the last thing these books will do is improve your lifestyle any more than Notes will
>>
>>9296901
>be warned that the last thing these books will do is improve your lifestyle any more than Notes will

i figured as much. if you empathized with the narrator, how are you doing now? is life better?
>>
>>9296937
It's "better" in the sense that I don't have the mindset anymore. Objectively viewing, if such a thing is even possible, my life's quality has to fall in the interquartile 50% for all Americans, so I know that any venture sad or happy always returns to a state of normalcy. Or maybe I just realized how futile such thinking was of "it's terrible!" or "it's going great!" and would rather devote my time to reading instead of despairing. This kind of thinking and ignoring is dangerously close to what Camus advocates as "philosophical suicide", but I'm sure even knowing the implications behind the term is good enough. Ironically the only time when I do feel bad or regretful is when I'm browsing 4chan
>>
>>9296832
I got the feeling that the point of Dostojevski was to create a whiny bitch so arrogant and delusional that emofags would realize how wrong they were all along not belonging to the normies.

Reading it I first felt like "yeah this guy is so right, fuck the society!" but the more I read I was like "wait fuck, this actually starts to sound more and more stupid...I guess I have been wrong on some things..." and eventually "oh god the cringe I've been wrong the entire time"

it just taught me not to be such a whiny ass loser bitch
>>
What is your picrelated from, OP?
>>
>>9296832
That's a really cozy image. Is that a train cabin? I want to draw stuff like this.
>>
>>9296901
>this is reddit this is memes
>>
>>9296832
I really related to him in the first and maybe second part of the book, but towards the end I really hated him. Especially the part with the prostitute.
>>
>>9296900
Ignatious is a great Underground Man

>>9296832
Isn't it wonderful that people in a completely different time and place can capture the way you feel?

>>9298205
I only hated his interactions with the prostitute because of my experience patronizing women worse off than myself who want nothing to do with me besides my money

Feels pretty fucking bad man
>>
>>9296832
Is this the first piece of classic literature you have read outside what high school forced you to?

Have you read any biographies from before the 20 Century?

Do you have a very wide social circle of friends and acquaintances?
>>
File: KochAdam.jpg (953KB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
KochAdam.jpg
953KB, 2592x1728px
>>9296832
It's the most overwhelming piece of literature I've ever read.
I'm a healthy, well integrated and social person but this book cut me to the quick.
It even triggered a psychosmoatic reaction, after reading it got a rash all over my abdomen.
I still can't believe how powerfull Dostos prose is.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.