[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Masterpiece. Any else here like medieval literature? Medieval

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: nibelungenlied.jpg (71KB, 362x550px) Image search: [Google]
nibelungenlied.jpg
71KB, 362x550px
Masterpiece.

Any else here like medieval literature? Medieval poetry is great and massively underrated. We have epics as good as the Iliad.

tl;dr medieval literature was great
>>
>>9291569
Also courtly love poetry is some good shit, full of bawdy comedy and cuckoldry too. Medieval folks didn't fuck around.
>>
>>9291569
It's as good as the Iliad because it is a rewriting of it in a German setting with a handful of Germanic folklore elements interpolated.
>>
>>9291577
Homer should have sued those German cunts
>>
Fun to read in Middle High German if you're up for it.
>>
>>9291577
You're basically an idiot. Although germanic mythology is similar to the Greek pantheon they're totally different in character, and this follows a widely different story.

Typical of /lit/ for ignorance of everything ancient and European apart from those gay Greeks...
>>
>>9291577
I thought it was derivative of the Volsung Saga, which is nothing like the Iliad.
>>
>>9291613
That and the Edda and the Thiddreksaga (Theoderic Saga) of Theoderic the Great, the pillager of Rome, and tonnes of other sources we can't find again.
>>
Just recently read several of the Icelandic sagas which are set in late 10th to 12th century. So far I've read The Grettis saga, Njals saga, Egils saga, and the laxdaela saga. They're partially historical with aspects of magic but interesting that the tales overlap and characters reoocur across the stories. I like the brutality of early iceland as the country is developed but also their sense of civic duty as they make appeals before their form of parliament. You won't enjoy them if you're looking for knights rescuing damsels in distress however. More like, mom or wife chide men to take revenge and prolong a feud between clans or neighboring village.
>>
>>9293220
>More like, mom or wife chide men to take revenge and prolong a feud between clans or neighboring village.

But anon that sounds wonderful
>>
File: SMKWxV.jpg (47KB, 466x411px) Image search: [Google]
SMKWxV.jpg
47KB, 466x411px
>>9293220
>tfw icelandic
>tfw I will never experience the golden age of vikings
>tfw I will never take a qt3.14 celtic gf in one of my business trips to europe
>tfw I will never form alliances with my uncles and brothers to get revenge on some minor insult from a far-away relative
>tfw I will never get to recite a badass poem (roast) about how the dick of Helgi is tiny and Jón's beard is non-existant while dying in the battlefield
>>
File: 390966.jpg (33KB, 325x475px) Image search: [Google]
390966.jpg
33KB, 325x475px
Anyone reading this masterpiece before? I was kind of blown away by it, compared to English and French medieval literature
>>
>>9291569
I've started reading Canterbury Tales and I'm finding it very enjoyable and accessible. I've always liked the Inferno, so I'll be reading the entire Divine Comedy and Decameron afterward.
>>
>>9294998
do u got that as an ebook for me brother?
>>
>>9295865
Does this count
http://sacred-texts.com/asia/mps/index.htm
>>
>>9294916
Icelandic History in a nutshell
>Land on frozen shithole
>Similar to home
>Settle, split into different clans and chieftains
>Not even the immense isolation can hinder the expansion of Christendom
>Convert
>Continue to live completely brutal lives even by Medieval standards with all the clan fighting, and the plagues, and the unforgiving wilderness.
>completely forgotten about for 500 years
>Britain takes Iceland over during the Second World War

The End,
>>
>>9297122
2/10 made me respond.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.