[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was modernism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: blue jeans.jpg (193KB, 1200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
blue jeans.jpg
193KB, 1200x1800px
What was modernism?
>>
A mistake
>>
I'm supposed to know I studied this. But I just don't.
>>
>>9289237
a mode of thought that was extremely amebeoius. However what tied the whole era together is a love of experimentation, and starting the given art from tabula rasa. a fresh mind.
>>
>>9289237
a deep skepticism of language and artifice after europe's destruction from ww1 and ww2.
>>
>>9289263
>amebeoius
That's a rather cromulent word.
>>
>>9289237
Baby don't hurt me.
>>
A coming to awareness by art of its precarious status and responsibilities. It started with Rabelais when the printing press broke down the connection between artist and audience. Without the direct feedback of an audience works of art had no real reason to exist and their forms were arbitrary. Don Quixote, Tristram Shandy, Kafka.
>>
>>9289265
>modernism
>after ww2

That's not correct, at least not for British literature, where WW2 is essentially where modernism ends and postmodernism starts
>>
>>9289360
That's a neat explanation for the development out of the Victorian serial novel but it seems like there's more left to modernism to be accounted for
>>
>>9289237
you know truth lies in anagrams right ?
MODERNISM was MORE MINDS
anything before modernism was minds, but less
anything after modernism is no more minds
>>
>>9289237
Modernism is Enlightenment thinking e.g. scientific method, ethics, individualism
>>
>>9289719
movements aren't static and different places/regions put an emphasis on different timelines. the renaissance in Italy, Holland, England etc. flowered at different times. same with modernism.
I'd say post-modernism didn't really get going until the early 60s
>>
>>9289719
because he got the war wrong. modernism is a reaction to WWI, not WWII.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.