[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any good books about serfs? Seems like it would be max comfy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: real shit.png (133KB, 600x442px) Image search: [Google]
real shit.png
133KB, 600x442px
Any good books about serfs? Seems like it would be max comfy but all old lit is just about royalfags. The closest thing I can find is Steinbeck but the time period/continent isn't right at all.

I'd also be game for reading a book about traveling European merchants (not maritime).
>>
>>9287978
>>
Try uh, Jacques le Goff on time and work in the Middle Ages, maybe also try Georges Duby.

Try also uhhhhh Emmanuel le Roy Ladurie, both "Paysans de Languedoc" and "Montaillou"

Also Marc Bloch's Feudal Society, and his French Rural History, both his most famous works though the former is more synthetic and the latter more for its methodological groundbreaking (which was inspirational for the above dudes)

All of these guys are Annalistes (historians of the French "Annales school"), sometimes called New History or "history from the bottom up" in France, basically the era of social-economic historiography that displaced the older narratives of top-level politics and kings and all that. That's a simplification, but it works.

In England and Germany things are a bit harder. England took a lot longer to transition to that style of history, famously associated with the Marxist EP Thompson in the 60s and 70s. Even then, for medieval stuff, legal history is much more prominent (Maitland etc.) I think. In Germany, you get a weird mixture of volkisch history and then a LOT of focus on magisterial and legal history (I think). Of course there are exceptions, but France is probably your best bet for specifically rural history.

Maybe also look at Natalie Zemon Davis, her general stuff from the 70s (which is collected in an anthology somewhere) but particularly her book on Martin Guerre and Ginzburg's book on Menocchio
>>
>>9288010
I can read French and don't give a fuck about England if it helps
>>
>>9287978
Tolstoy wrote a bunch about serfs and I think Ivan Turgenev did too, I haven't read them (Other than Anna K) but I know they have some content on them. It was a pretty big topic in russia around that time and got alot of content for its political and social dynamics leading into and after emancipation. (Even into communist era arguably)

If you mean just dumb dirty farmers then I guess that only broadens the choices but nothing is coming to mind. I am a Greeks/royalfag.

Cheers mate have a bump
>>
>>9287978
>it would be max comfy
i assure you serfdom was not "max comfy"
>>
>>9288052
it would be comfy to read a book about some simple dudes living the pre-cosmopolitan agrarian lifestyle

>>9288041
>I am a Greeks/royalfag.
me too I just want a reprieve from my own aesthetic. Thanks for the bump btw
>>
>>9287978
>Seems like it would be max comfy

Just work in retail and write a diary (desu)
>>
A Sportsman's Sketches by Turgenev is a mix of serf stories and dissolute or cruel nobles.
>>
>>9288120
On the Russian theme, there was that one guy who wrote pro-peasant stuff under Catherine and got censored because he was like 50 years too early for Russian liberalism. Anyone know his name? OP would probably like him.
>>
>>9287978
Dead Souls
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.