[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Harry Potter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: Azkaban.jpg (192KB, 1200x723px) Image search: [Google]
Azkaban.jpg
192KB, 1200x723px
>Killing people is wrong
>instead we lock them up inside of some dread fort in the middle of nowhere
>we use horrific monsters to torture them into insanity or death
>sometimes we let the monsters just eat your soul
>Did I mention we use the same level of punishment for everyone regardless of crime committed?
>Remember we are the good guys

What did Rowling mean by this? If I didn't know any better I would think she was a hack.
>>
Your first mistake would be giving a fuck about Harry Potter.
>>
>>9281562

The entire Harry Potter universe is saturated with extremely reactionary themes and tropes.

>>9281585

Harry Potter is fascinating as a cultural phenomenon, as is YA, regardless of the fact that it's shit in its own right.
>>
>>9281562
Could be for selfish reasons.
When you kill someone, it "tears your soul". Might be safer to just torture 'em?
>>
>>9281562
If I recall correctly, the Potter books are set at the end of the Thatcherite era of British politics. Maggie was notoriously harsh on any and all criminals/dissenters. In her mind there was very little to differentiate a coal miner on strike and a member of the IRA.

Perhaps the policies of the magic police were made to demonstrate this harshness?
>>
>>9281562
That's the point. Rowling doesn't present a corrupt dictatorship and totalitarian courts as a good thing, she presents them as the fundamentally unfair and antiquated crazy shit that allows assholes like Voldemort to rise to power so easily. If you think Rowling approves of the Ministry or Wizarding laws, read the books again. The fact that her heroes spend most waking hours breaking laws should be your first clue.
>>
>a school kid does something stupid
>throw him into azkaban

>wizard trial
>the verdict is innocent or azkaban
>>
>>9281562
>Why is a book written for children occasionally a little illogical?

It's time to grow up,
>>
>>9282679
>kid breaks a rule like being up past bed time
>time to send them into the death forest with all the rape centaurs

maybe someone should have looked into Dumbledore's tenure
>>
File: I'm dying here.jpg (450KB, 1000x900px) Image search: [Google]
I'm dying here.jpg
450KB, 1000x900px
>>9281562
>JK Rowling
>literature
What can you expect, OP?
>>
>>9281639
The wizards are independent of the parliament and have their own minister of magic instead of the prime minister.
>>
>>9282667
Yeah but Harry also grows up to be a magic cop.
>>
i wish i could take back all of the energy i've spent on the harry potter universe :'(
this is my poem
>>
>>9282774
>what is allegory
>>
>>9282814
Something J.K Rowling cannot do subtly at all.
>>
Rowling is a textbook limousine liberal so you have to see the world the way they do. To them the current prison and jail system are just places of torture where rehabilitation isn't even considered. They see themselves as proponents of reform where they want to move away from this imagined policy of torture to a what they think is more novel policy of rehabilitation. With this in mind Azkaban makes perfect sense in her world.
>>
>>9282945

tbqh, prison is shit-tier at rehabilitation.

>person is either a piece of shit or alienated enough from society to lash out against it
>turn him into a bigger piece of shit and increase alienation
>????
>profit
>>
>>9282945
>>9282964
What if both prisons and Rowling are shit?
>>
>>9282982

woah
>>
>>9282964

It's ultimately up to the inmates. I've been to prison so I'm not completely talking out of my ass when I say that there are opportunities for everyone that genuinely wants to get better. The problem is people just don't wanna sort themselves out. Instead of going to the library and working on their GED they would rather dick around and watch TV all day and they don't take counseling or therapy seriously.

They're like drug addicts. You can't get somebody off drugs until they wanna stop.
>>
>>9282821
Did anything about Azkaban strike you as subtle?
>>
>>9281598
This is interesting. How else is it reactionary?
>>
>>9282945

>Rowling is a textbook limousine liberal

And this is the real reason her Marxist pulp was pushed so far and wide.
>>
>>9282776
Following rehabilitation and reformation of the system, yes. Under Kingsley Shacklebolt, Azkaban was purged of Dementors. While it remains in use as a prison, the guards are now Aurors, who are regularly rotated from the mainland. There has been no breakout since this new system was introduced.
>>
>>9281585
fpbp
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.