[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the hell do i do with my life now

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

I just finished reading Chapterhouse: Dune. I thoroughly enjoyed the six novels. Frank Herbert is my new god. Not really but now I am sad and lost. I know he was supposed to end the saga in a final novel but he fucking died before doing so and his son wrote prequels and 2 sequels based on notes but... I dont want to read any of it, at least not for now. Anyone know if there's any way a pleb like me can get his hands on the Dune 7 outline? I'm just a lost lamb that needs some closure. Am planning to read the biography Brian Herbert did on his dad next.
>>
I've also just purchased the short story collection "Eye" for a final Dune kick
>>
File: destination-void.jpg (74KB, 400x657px) Image search: [Google]
destination-void.jpg
74KB, 400x657px
you could read "Whipping Star" and "The Dosadi Experiment". they're pretty good, in my opinion.

if you're a glutton for punishment, read "Destination:Void", and then wonder if you should waste your time on "The Jesus Incident", "The Lazarus Effect" and "The Ascension Factor".

the last three books, i kept wishing Ship would wipe them all out.
>>
>>9280783
I do plan on reading Frank's other stuff someday, it is quite appealing to me, thanks for the suggestion though.
What I unrealistically want is to have his untouched Dune 7 outline, I can't bring myself to read Brian's novels... Anyone to give his sequels credit?

Btw, treat this as a Dune general thread too, his philosophical, sociological and political ideas throughout the saga, whether the film theyre planning will be any good, that kind of crap.
Also, Duncan Idaho the only character to be present in ALL the novels, is he the real protagonist and not the Atreides?
>>
>>9280464
Don't read brian's attempt to cash in on his dad's fame. Go outside and find something real to care about. There are infinite books better than frank herbert's cardboard garbage.
>>
>>9280811
U sound like my dad
>>
>>9280464
Read Book of the New Sun. I read Dune in high school and liked it, but I think botns is miles better.
>>
>>9280833
Its odd to that, during serious discussion of New Sun, Dune is never brought up. I haven only gotten in Wolfe recently. I read Dune in middle school. I'll try to read the Dune series soon, to compare the two.
>>
>>9280791
there is the Dune Encyclopedia, which, yes, everyone including Frank said wasn't canon, but which i believe is far more entertaining than any of Kevin J Anderson's giant robot battles. it was put together at the time of the publication of God Emperor, so you won't find anything from books 5 or 6 in it, but you do get histories of the major characters in Dune written by adults.
>>
>>9280833

I read them in that order as well, but I think they're both the highest examples of speculative fiction out there. I can't decide which I think is better.
>>
>>9280833
This. It's a masterpiece.
>>
>>9282125

It really is. Unfortunately, its magic is not carrying over for me in The Book of the Long Sun. I have been struggling to even read past page 100 in two weeks, whereas I devoured all four of New Sun in less than three weeks.

Has anyone read them and think they get better?
>>
>>9282138
While I also felt Long Sun was the weakest link of the Solar Cycle, to me it formed the perfect backdrop to the New Sun.
>>
>>9282526

Does it pick up again in The Book of the Short Sun?
>>
>>9282622
Sorry, meant to write Short Sun instead of New Sun...
>>
I'm down to circle jerk New Sun all day. I finished book 5 a week ago and have felt lost without the series
>>
>>9283763

Me too. I heard they only get better with re-reads though, since the prose is so densely packed.

>>9283709

Thanks, mate. I'll plow through.
>>
>>9283763
My dude, I just finished Urth yesterday and I'm starting Long Sun. Planning to read the entire Solar Cycle because Wolfe is badass and I love his writing.
>>
>>9283780
>>9283807
Yeah it's dense shit. I love it. I managed to nab a copy of this while I was into the 3rd book. I wouldn't recommend reading it while you're reading the series, only after. It contains spoilers. Contains a lot of good insight though
>>
I feel I could be interested in reading these but the fact that the MC is a torturer is really off-putting, or is he somehow redeemable?
>>
>>9283849
It's pretty redeeming. Something great about the books is there's a lot of good pay off, if you pay enough attention. There also isn't a lot of prancy bullshit that holds up the story for chapters on end. Like, for example, there is in the Wheel of Time.
>>
>>9283849
He redeems himself in a lot of ways by the series' end, don't want to spoil too much but the fact that he's a bit untrustworthy makes the narrative engaging imo
>>
File: wat_bulma03.jpg (66KB, 914x686px) Image search: [Google]
wat_bulma03.jpg
66KB, 914x686px
> mfw wolfe shits take over a based Frank Herbert thread
>>
>>9284039
hey man, that's like, not nice
>>
I just finished Shadow & Claw a moment ago. It's strange, I dread picking it up and reading it, but after a few pages, the ball starts rolling and the story becomes engaging. I think it's just the prose style that makes it so difficult to get back into after a day or two, I had the same experience with Moby Dick.
>>
>>9284086
i'm just waiting for the angry wants-to-be-a-janitor anon who keeps starting up the science fiction and fantasy generals to lurch in here and scream at us for daring to post about SF outside of his threads.
>>
>>9280464
>reading past book 1
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.