[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok, so I am interested in the traditional genre of Tragedy in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: vamp_stamp_01.jpg (91KB, 433x613px) Image search: [Google]
vamp_stamp_01.jpg
91KB, 433x613px
Ok, so I am interested in the traditional genre of Tragedy in the modern and contemporary culture. I love Shakespeare and enjoy some of the Greek plays of old, but I always have a hard time finding the same grandeur of those old works on modern media.

I catalogued some works that fit the pattern, but I was interested in more examples. I am not interested in modern retellings of Shakespeare and the Greeks (even though many of them are great). I want original plots.

Here is the list of works I have:

Irezumi (japanee film, see pic of this thread)
Scarface
Breaking Bad
House of Cards (both UK and US)
Citizen Kane
The Magnificent Ambersons
Blue Angel
The Housemaid (1960 version)
Oldboy
All the King’s Men
The Godfather
House of Sand and Fog
Carlito’s Way
Dark Blue
The Human Condition

But I would love to know more examples of the tragic genre in modern cinema (or novels, or short-stories).
>>
>>9277817

Raging Bull
>>
>>9277817

bump
>>
Satantango
The bridge on the river kwai
Harakiri
The man who wasn't there
To live and die in L.A
Ivan the terrible
Dancer in the dark
Dogville
Chinatown
Entertainment
Woyzeck
The cook, the thief, his wife and her lover
Causalities of war
Nocturnal animals
Breaking the waves
The french connection
The great silence
Do the right thing
Leviathan
Le samourai
My son, my son what have ye done
Samurai rebellion
The cremator

Some of these may be a stretch for what you are specifically looking for but they are all great films
>>
>>9278395
Thank you very much
>>
>>9277817

Not to be a pedant but Oldboy is basically a retelling of Oedipus Rex.
>>
Kagemusha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEJ3usYZOtA
>>
>>9278602
No problem, tou are correct
>>
>>9278616

Yeah, Kurosawa made a lot of amazing tragedy movies. His catalogue is well worth checking out.

Ugetsu (Mizoguchi) and Vengeance is Mine (Imamura) are also two other great tragic Jap kinos.
>>
File: Vengeance_is_Mine_1979.jpg (122KB, 500x712px) Image search: [Google]
Vengeance_is_Mine_1979.jpg
122KB, 500x712px
>>9279116
>Vengeance is Mine (Imamura)

Who is the cute girl on the cover?
>>
>>9278616
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEJ3usYZOtA

dont know why, but the tragic sadness made me remember this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enYX5tpKRe8&list=RDMMenYX5tpKRe8
>>
The bad sleep well and High and Low (Kurosawa)
>>
>>9281566
>The bad sleep well and High and Low (Kurosawa)

thank you
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.