[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think the comic/graphic novel format can have literary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

Do you think the comic/graphic novel format can have literary validity?
>>
>>9273206
No.
>>
No. It's the bottom of the Literary barrel haphazardly combined with the bottom of the visual barrel.
>>
>>9273282
be honest, what have you read?
>>
>>9273206
Sometimes, but it can be hard to pull off.

It should be pointed out that Neil Gaiman's comics are infinitely better than his actual books.
>>
Absolutely not. Lower than anime, lower than Saturday morning cartoons. Get fucked, /co/
>>
I think there are some comics and graphic novels that are absolutely worth reading

Calvin and Hobbes, Quimby Mouse, Fungus the Bogeyman...
>>
there are a lot of legitimately interesting "alternative" comics out there, but I feel like it's pretty separate from literature. That's why you start to see terms like "sequential art" pop-up the more serious/pretentious they get. Also, don't read about superheroes ever
>>
>>9273206
I think comics are their own thing, they're an art form separate from literature and shouldn't be compared to literature. The same way a painting can't be literature. I think comic artists do themselves a disservice by striving to be accepted as literature.
>>
>>9273206
If you can't convincingly look like the opposite gender you should give up on your fantasy
>>
>>9273206
Yotsuba&! is quite the literary event.
>>
File: sbi_1472733177.jpg (306KB, 500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
sbi_1472733177.jpg
306KB, 500x1000px
A bit. They are a narrative art form so they, like movies and opera, share some elements with literature.
But, in practice, they all function in radically different ways. In comics the literary aspect is deeply intertwined with sequenced images, which makes the overall dynamic profoundly different from the typical literary one.
Comics can have developed characters and deal with philosophical themes, if that's what you're aiming at. (It might be argued that they rarely use that potential, though.)
>>
File: l.png (689KB, 838x633px) Image search: [Google]
l.png
689KB, 838x633px
Everything I've seen has been awful.
>>
>>9273206
Does it have fucking words? Then it has the potential for "literary validity." Not a tough question.
>>
File: 2010-02-09-the_process.jpg (685KB, 960x2560px) Image search: [Google]
2010-02-09-the_process.jpg
685KB, 960x2560px
>>
>>9274327
LOL
>>
comic books are literal pulp fiction
graphic novels, however, could have some literary merit, like Watchmen for example
>>
>>9274327
Any more like this? (Specifically, the first part with the fantasy world)
>>
>>9275296
It's from Dresden Codak
>>
>>
>>9275337
One of the few to get ironic self-deprecation right
>>
>>9273206
I hate to rule out an entire medium. If a medium uses words, I believe it can have literary validity. Even a commercial can have depth to it.
>>
>>9274632
>Doesn't realize Watchmen is a comic book
>>
>>9275319
Thanks, these are great
>>
>>9273206
Ya, comics are a lot of fun and they have great potential to be deeply philosophical and can tell a really good story. Unfortunately, the comic industry is pretty much filled with left wing wimps and numales so these days the stories are absolutely horrid.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.