[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How necessary is it that I read this before reading Homer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0860.jpg (39KB, 279x498px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0860.jpg
39KB, 279x498px
How necessary is it that I read this before reading Homer?
>>
>>9270592
I just read the Iliad and Odyssey without any supporting works and I don't feel like I missed out on anything
>>
it isn't but it will improve your experience if you do
>>
>>9270807
Well you did.
>>
>>9270592
Not
>>
>>9270807
You definitely missed a huge amount, but you probably got the crux of both stories. Books like what OP is posting are not useful for Homer, though. You have to read critical analyses.
>>
>>9270592
Not necessary at all.
You need to know:
-Olympian Gods and their relationships/roles (Plus Hades)
-General gist of Hercules/Heros
-Background of Trojan war
-General geography and major cities of Greece and Asia minor

Many of these should be covered in footnotes of a good translation.
The Odyssey doesn't really need any other reading, just need to read Iliad prior to understand whats going on.

I would suggest Theogony and Metamorphoses over some shitty modern day book written by a woman.

>>9270807
How could you possibly convince yourself of this?
>>
>>9270592
not necessary but helpful. genuinely improves experience
>>
>>9270592
read like the first 100 pages of the book and then the Trojan War: Prologue section, and you should be good.
>>
>>9270891
t.mong
>>
>>9270592
Necessary? I don't think it is, but don't you find reading about myths enjoyable? Otherwise why do you want to read Homer anyway?
>>
>>9270592
not really. just read a proper introduction to the iliad, which usually comes with modern editions of translations (ex. lattimore's translation has an in depth one). if you misunderstand anything then just plow through it and take note where you misunderstood things. revisit those sections in future readings along with some supplementary material

for companions, there are ones published meant to guide readers through the lattimore translations of both the iliad and the odyssey. here are the links:
iliad companion - https://www.amazon.com/dp/0226898555/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_FXl0ybX46829Z
odyssey companion - https://www.amazon.com/dp/0809315475/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_MXl0ybF3BPSRM

again, i highly recommend you use these on subsequent readings rather than on the first one. just let things sink in that time

have fun starting with the greeks, OP
>>
>>9271148
t. woman
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.