[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is the pursuit of knowledge considered virtuous?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

Why is the pursuit of knowledge considered virtuous?
>>
Plato
>>
>>9270420
What is knowledge, and what is virtue?
>>
Because people think that if they can articulate on what they saw and heard, creating knowledge, that gives them a tool to protect themselves from the typhoon that is life. So they begin to admire those who acquired a lot of knowledge, projecting in them this sense of protection from the accidents and the unexpected.

Intellectual pursuit is like a sword. It cuts, analyzes, defines, pierce, destroy, indicates, imposes itself.
>>
>>9270497
knowledge is not necessary analyzing, zen is a kind of knowledge too and it sorta overcomes the whole nitpicking thing we are so drenched in
>>
Greek boifuckers.
>>
>>9270502
I think calling it knowledge is not a good approach. I agree with you, but I was talking of something different and I agree it does not encompasses zen.

Knowledge and virtue are very western words, so I take them from a western perspective. They function in the east only because at some point they translated eastern concepts into those words, but they are much richer than that.
>>
File: 1489859900636.jpg (39KB, 650x488px) Image search: [Google]
1489859900636.jpg
39KB, 650x488px
>>9270456

don't start this pomo rhetoric with me you lil' shit
>>
>>9270420
Because if (you) spend the majority of your waking hours with your nose in a book or a notebook, or your eyes glued to a screen (pursuing knowledge) then it becomes very difficult to get into any kind of serious trouble and 'the pursuit' is therefore virtuous QED.

>by default
>>
>>9270420
Once you have realized that life is pointless, then you can either kill yourself or pick some sort of purpose in life for yourself. Gaining knowledge is just one possible purpose, but a rather good one because it is intellectually fulfilling and gaining knowledge and wisdom will help you handling the struggles of life.
>>
>>9270420
Data processed into applicable information is profitable and helps the survival of our species.

The Pursuit could mean you care more for raising our living standards than for other things (e.g. War and other egoistic endeavors).

I guess.
>>
File: art_hoe.jpg (107KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
art_hoe.jpg
107KB, 800x800px
>>9270420
It's not virtuous just quixotic. It is impossible to really achieve an acceptable level of knowledge so it is an impossible goal. Because it is impossible you can be excused for your lack of completion. The scale of the task is so great that you can easily martyr yourself for nothing and collect as many virtue points as you want.
>>
>>9270568
Why is the survival of our species a good thing?
>>
>>9270420
is that White Marx?
>>
>>9270531
uhm ok, it makes sense, as west is faustian. i might not get things with precise nuances as i'm not an english speaker
>>
>do you know everything?
>I KNOW...NOTHING
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.