[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I hear this is pretty inaccurate. Is that true? If so, what can

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: file.png (112KB, 260x346px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
112KB, 260x346px
I hear this is pretty inaccurate. Is that true? If so, what can you suggest as an alternative.
>>
File: richevans.jpg (57KB, 919x720px) Image search: [Google]
richevans.jpg
57KB, 919x720px
>>9264508

Richard Evans' trilogy is a better option, but honestly that book is still a good read.
>>
I think it's well written and entertaining.
>>
>>9264666
I'm looking for something perhaps more informative
>>
>>9264508
There is a difference between "inaccurate" and "troubled analysis".

The author was a journalist with a glut of documentation from a recently crumbled regime known mostly for the paper based bureaucracy. He could only cherry pick what he was reading from a nearly endless library, and the corpus had not been subject to 50 years of scholarship.

Hence, >>9264523 is correct. What shirer does excel at, is the fact that he was there, on the ground, before and after, and he also provides a really wonderful narrative.
>>
>>9264753
Tell you what.

I'll read both. I'll read the Evans trilogy and the Shirer one.
>>
>>9264762
Arendt's Eichmann in Jerusalem is also very good.

On the extreme opposite of Evans are Churchill's Memoirs, and Guderians memoir "Panzer Leader", in that there is no analysis, only memory and emotion.

I think they would be interesting to consider too, especially Guderian for a nearly amoral view on the eastern front.
>>
There is this one section in the first hundred pages where he suggests all german philosophy precipitated nazi ideology. It's pretty easy to laugh off but autistic historians believe that's reason to write off everything in the work. But Shirer is not a historian so that criticism doesn't even apply. The rest of the work is solid.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.