[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am a writer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: mask.jpg (29KB, 262x316px) Image search: [Google]
mask.jpg
29KB, 262x316px
In 2015 I created this website : talesofore.com where I started posting my writings (whether it's poetry, short stories or parts of the novels I am trying to write) and I'd very much like to get feedback on it because I feel I could do much better than what I already am doing.

Would you kindly help me out?

Is it easy to get around?
Is what I write interesting? (I mainly write poems recently, I've posted around 300 to this day)
What could I do better? What did I forget?
What do you hate with it?
>>
don't click virus :(
>>
>>9261899
do click, it will enlarge your penis!
>>
>>9261891

Not trying to be a dick, OP, but if you want some practical advice you'll make a splash page up front that lets you choose whether you want the English or French version of your site. Putting both on one page and then having some links lead you, without warning, go pages of writing that is only in one language is frustrating and will be off-putting to the average reader.
>>
>>9261891
>I am a writer
Not a good one
>>
>>9262009
Yep, have been thinking of changing that for some time now but I need to find the right way to do it.
>>9262026
I never said I was.
>>
just a little bump because reasons
>>
>>9261891
why is this how you decided to share your work?
>>
>>9263932
What do you mean? The format of a website or the fact that I posted it on /lit/?
>>
>>9264106
I'm curious about your thoughts behind the decision to blog your work as opposed to seeking out publishing or self-publishing.
>>
>>9264118
Right, that's what I though, just wanted to make sure.
When I started I wanted to be a great writer then I realized I wasn't and I probably had a lot of work to do before getting to that point.
So I decided to try to write down the ideas I had and share them with people to get some feedback.
Blogging was the easiest way that came to me and I kinda stuck with it...
I'm starting to think about getting qome of my poems published but that's very recent.
>>
>>9264160
I'm in a similar boat. I just went to poetry forums as opposed to blogs (part of the reason i browse here). Do you get legitimate feedback from blog readers? I'm confused how it works.
>>
>>9264174
Not really that much. Sometimes I get a few comments here and there, but I don't have enough traffic to get that much.
I'd like to but at the same time I'm not trying that hard to get more people to come by because I don't know where to 'advertise' my writings and I don't really like it either... (not th ebest way to go if you want feedback)
I do know however that some people enjoy reading what I write since I get likes quite regularly.
I also activated notifications on Twitter and Facebook whenever I post something though.
>>
>>9264160
have you spent any time considering why you want to be a great writer? if you say "you want to change the world for the better", i'd be inclined to think you are exaggerating.

if you said "for all the hot sex with literary babes", that would be a little more honest.

also, reliable, constructive criticism is hard to come by. most people have to pay an editor to do it. why should i spend fifteen minutes reading and critiquing your work?

i'd ask you to critique mine in return, but that sounds totally gay.
>>
>>9265331
Why a great writer? No, that's not what I am aiming for anymore. Once perhaps, not anymore.
I don't want to become great, I just want to becoem good enough to share the stories I have imagined, my end game is to be able to write the novels I have been thinking about for years and get peopel to read them, not necessarily be recognized as a great writer.
Although I am also aiming to live off of that passion so making money is the second project.
I know about criticism, that's why I don't ask often. I'm not imposing anything upon you because I'm not offering anything in return so you do it if you want and if you don't, well, you don't. I don't really have any reason to motivate you to do it except that I think I have at least enough talent to be called a writer and that you should check out my universe.
And to be completely honest, I don't really want to read what you've created in exchange for that, I'm not comfortable with judging or giving feedback that much. Or rather I didn't, now I'm curious and would like to know more... You've piqued my interest.
>>
>>9265916
so you want me to explore your universe but you're not interested in exploring mine? or are you?

last good thing i wrote:

http://sheramil.dreamwidth.org/2013/07/18/

i'll go check out your stuff now.
>>
File: badtomoyo.jpg (18KB, 247x187px) Image search: [Google]
badtomoyo.jpg
18KB, 247x187px
>>9265916
as for getting better.. someone said that every illustrator has ten thousand crappy pictures in them, and the only way to get better was to put those ten thousand crappy pictures down on paper. same goes for writing; given that a picture is worth a thousand words.. that's.. ten million words. shit.

when i told a friend about having half a million words of fiction on my old website, she said "you still haven't done the hard yards," and she was right. you have to keep churning stuff out, experiment, read everything you can get your hands on - even the stuff that doesn't interest you or even stuff that bores you - and not just read it, but look at the way they do things. how do they describe scenes? how do they create characters? lay out plots, give away surprises, etc.

I would also point you towards the earlier works of Samuel R Delany, before he went all postmodern and incomprehensible, because he had a lot of good things to say about writing, like characters are described by both intentional and unintentional acts.

getting honest criticism is hard, because your friends don't want to hurt your feelings and your enemies aren't going to read your stuff anyway.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.