[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Broom of the System

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 817zKtnzccL.jpg (434KB, 1312x1997px) Image search: [Google]
817zKtnzccL.jpg
434KB, 1312x1997px
So obviously Infinite Jest gets discussed to death here, but has anyone read The Broom of the System?

I finished it recently and would be keen to discuss. I struggled to enjoy the first half but loved the second half completely. What are your thoughts?
>>
>>9259023
It's a brilliant book. What do you want?
>>
>>9259023
I hated it. Felt very sophomoric. Flat humour. Obnoxiously middle-class characters. Totally misused Wittgenstein.

It's like the epitome of that le quirky white American middle-class pseudo-intellectual sensibility.
>>
>>9259138
>It's like the epitome of that le quirky white American middle-class pseudo-intellectual sensibility.
>middle-class
DFW was upper class, though. He affected middle class sensibilities because he knew that he couldn't affect proletarian sensibilities.
>>
>>9259166
>he knew that he couldn't affect proletarian sensibilities.

Yet he tried and failed horrendously in IJ, even supposing there is such a thing.
>>
>>9259209
I haven't read more than 50 pages of IJ, how exactly does this happen? It all seemed to be a bunch of bourgeois whinging that went out of its way to proclaim its own sophistication.
>>
>>9259138
>the epitome of that le quirky white American middle-class pseudo-intellectual sensibility

This is why I couldn't really stand the first part. What I hated especially at first is just how every single fucking thing is a joke. Everyone's name has some dumb double meaning to it, every character has some weird quirk - they're missing a leg, they're anorexic, they wear a gas mask... when everything is a joke, nothing is a joke and it stops being funny and everytime a new character was introduced with some new weird quirk I rolled my eyes.

THAT BEING SAID, once he has set up all that bullshit and we get more into the details of R.V. and Lenore's relationship, the re-introduction of Wang Dang etc. it gets a lot more enjoyable. Since we've met all the characters already it is a lot easier to engage with them, I felt, and they stop being punchlines but 'real' people. I definitely know what you mean, however.
>>
>>9259218
He tries to write in ebonics
>>
>>9259624
he does this with Walinda in Broom too
it feels accurate but it is a bit weird
>>
Norman Bombardini is the only funny character.
>>
>>9259624
I skipped that chapter.
>>
>>9259023
i loved it. the humor, dialogue, the characters and their relationships with each other was really interesting. i feel like i could have read about the characters and their exploits forever.
its one of those books i wish didn't end.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.