[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fantasy Genre

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: statue.jpg (310KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
statue.jpg
310KB, 1920x1080px
How would you refresh the fantasy genre? Where would you start to be original, and not accused of copy+pasting other people's work?
>>
no more vampires

no more werewolves

no more female protagonist has to choose between two hot white guys who both want her

no more faux-medieval settings with no reason to exist other than to let the reader believe that life in the middle ages was better than it is today

no more magic without cost to the wielder

less barbarians, more healers
>>
Are you one of those people who never read a fantasy book written after 1985 and still thinks the genre is just Tolkien imitators + GRRM?
>>
File: r688cPe.jpg (965KB, 1440x2700px) Image search: [Google]
r688cPe.jpg
965KB, 1440x2700px
>le all fantasy is the same meme

>>>9260264
>less barbarians, more healers
why? From a story telling perspective it's better to have very few healers so damage to characters is more permanent
>>
>>9258607
I want to make a solarpunk fantasy

"Refreshing the fantasy genre" as in, not making a fucking cliche book - requires basically two rules that I stick too:

1. don't make it medieval europe with magic
2. don't make it a snarky loner in a city with magic

There. That's literally it.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>9260264
>no more vampires
>no more werewolves
>no more female protagonist has to choose between two hot white guys who both want her
Twilight etc don't count
>>
>>9260385
you're probably a very shallow reader who bases everything in the setting
>>
>>9258607
Appropriate more from non-western cultures.

Elder Scrolls showed that you can incorporate Hindu themes successfully into tangible and relatable settings.
>>
>>9260360
this is actually a decent graph
>>
The only thing fantasy needs is the same thing any other literature needs, some real artistic talent from the heart. Stop making stories based on a gimmick magic system or exotic setting, those are just flavours, make the focus around people.
>>
>>9260489
wrong
>>
>>9260494
take out The Red Knight and replace it with something good and it's pretty much perfect
>>
>>9260496
Just write science-fiction but take out all reason and accountability
>>
>>9260508
Kek, this is literally true.
>>
File: 21411515.png (251KB, 479x274px) Image search: [Google]
21411515.png
251KB, 479x274px
>>9260508
I've seen this quote before in a different context
>>
File: writing-is-sexy05.jpg (67KB, 564x906px) Image search: [Google]
writing-is-sexy05.jpg
67KB, 564x906px
>>9258607
I think fantasy could use an infusion from other genres. For example, fantasy settings for murder mysteries or crime capers.

Most of the fantasy I've read (and I may have missed something) tends to revolve around either searching for a talisman or recovering a lost birthright, or maybe putting down some big baddie (or a combination of these).

But what about a straight-up crime caper, like a Usual Suspects, but with swords and beasts and maybe a subtle magic system?

Or a murder mystery, a la Agatha Christie, but in a fantasy setting?

Maybe it's been done, but I haven't seen it yet.
>>
>>9260557
I have a very loose outline of an alternate history fantasy crime story floating around somewhere. It's like a collection of different cases over a period of time in the early 1600s after a plague spreading from the grave of Christ decimates the global population and H.R Giger inspired aliums begin descending from the sky. It's set in one relatively safe city where the protagonists are refugees who lucked out and got in but have to solve crimes in their ghetto to make a living, and occasionally leave the city and enter the surrounding Cronenberg'd wasteland for some cases.

I have no idea what the fuck my goal is for it and I'm not actually working on it at the moment but it seems like it could be fun to write, just a mishmash of elements I find interesting in a genre I have a great interest in but little talent for. Could be a good writing exercise for me.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.