[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is literally the best crime novel ever. Discuss.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: 71tXp6UZAtL.jpg (206KB, 1242x2058px) Image search: [Google]
71tXp6UZAtL.jpg
206KB, 1242x2058px
This is literally the best crime novel ever. Discuss.
>>
How about you start the discussion
>>
James Ellroy in general is awesome. Read White Jazz and Perfidia my man
>>
>>9257566
I got "the big nowhere" today, and the girl at the library gave me "blood on the moon" for free
>>
how is 2666?

such a shame that the crime novel genre is mostly awful schlock, it's one of my favourite subjects in film.
>>
>>9257610
What a babe
>>
>>9257563
more like BLACKED DAHLIA, you cuck
>>
>>9257563
It's good, but he raised his game considerably with The Big Nowhere and LA Confidential.
>>
>>9257563
Better than his Underworld USA work? That's all I've read from Ellroy.
>>
>>9257689
It's great, duh
>>
How is American Tabloid?

The summary sounds really interesting but I'm reading the preview on Amazon and I'm not sure if I like the style of prose.
>>
>>9257563
picked it up yesterday at a used book store. seemed interesting. whats so good about it?
>>
Nope, try again.
>>
>>9258110
I loved it. But I must say, much, though not all, of the appeal is the prose
>>
>>9257773
Way I see it Big Nowhere makes him look like a hack. His whole style of slur-heavy 'pastiche' period dialogue and the violence just gets so OTT, and it makes him seem like nothing more than a tryhard edgelord. It's like he thinks that good crime writing is just vulgar language and excessive violence. Beyond that, the construction of the plot is similar in so many ways to L.A Confidential that it's almost madlibs (Though Confidential for my money is the better of the two).
>>
>>9258286
See, from reading the first few pages my reaction is exactly the opposite. I like the crime and dirty millionaires and politicians stuff, but the prose gives me a headache.
>>
>>9258473
Yeah, the grit is palpable in that book, which is the other major part of the appeal. Imo the prose reinforced the content, but I know a lot of people find it grating.
>>
>>9258276
Did you mean to post C&P?
>>
File: crime and punishmemet.jpg (124KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
crime and punishmemet.jpg
124KB, 1280x720px
>>9258519
mods are asleep post C&P
>>
>>9258528
hon hon
>>
>>9257563
IT JUST KEEPS TUMBLING DOWN, TUMBLING DOWN
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.