[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reprogramming your brain?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1423520118836.jpg (108KB, 1280x842px) Image search: [Google]
1423520118836.jpg
108KB, 1280x842px
It's a fact that most people's attention span these days have gone down the shitter. For some people its impossible to read books because they will inevitably get distracted by phone/video games/internet bullshit that has instant gratification. How does one combat this? I'm not quite as bad as people who won't even pick up books, but I can only read like a chapter a day and then I have to stop no matter how interesting the book.
>>
>>9254618

I'll say the same thing I always say in threads like these.

1. Pick something you genuinely want to read, not something that you're only reading for meme value. It's amazing how many people, when getting into reading, just pick up whatever books 4chan tells them to read rather than choosing for themselves. Of course if you're not going to be focus if you don't care about what you're reading.

2. Go someplace away from your computer to read. Go to a quiet peaceful place like a park or a library. Change of environment really helps. In the book The Shallows (essential reading for people struggling with this problem), there was mentioned a study that people had better attention spans when walking through a nature filled area rather than a noisy city. Even thinking about nature helped their attention spans.
>>
>>9254618
Just put a timer on and sit down with a book until its up. I think its less about tricking your will power as just drawing a clear boundary and aim around the activity.
>>
>>9254618
Self control. Consciously choose to not use the computer. Set time goals ie. I will read for the next 60 minutes, it doesn't matter if I make any progress with the book, I'm not allowed to do anything else. Stick to this.
>>
>>9254651
>1. Pick something you genuinely want to read, not something that you're only reading for meme value. It's amazing how many people, when getting into reading, just pick up whatever books 4chan tells them to read rather than choosing for themselves.

This is awful pleb advice, nobody ever chooses anything for themselves and people here genuinely do have better suggestions than the dogshit that floats around elsewhere
>>
>>9254671
Does this actually change you and make you less reliant on internet/video game shit?

>>9254676
I already don't read anything recommended here.
>>
>>9254717
It builds good habits. It's literally all self-control anyway. This just makes it take less willpower to keep reading. A trick of sorts.
>>
>>9254618
when i really want to read, i give my iphone to my boyfriend in the morning when he goes to work, so i can't have it till launch time when we meet. i don't care about tv very much and so i don't have any distractions aside from staring at window or at the wall every now and then

when i read ebooks i almost always read from the iphone itself so i don't get distracted by it in itself; hard to explain but try this

put yourself in a hot bath and bring in the bathroom only couple books and enjoy wet reading
>>
>>9254676

Suggestions that will go unappreciated by someone you know is a pleb. You fuckers tell people who haven't read a book since high school to read Aristotle and get mad when they get bored.

Is it that hard to discover something to read? Are you not interested in any historical events to do research on? Or any famous people to read a biography on?
>>
>>9254618
>I have to stop
No you don't. Just keep reading.
>>
>>9254732
I don't take baths honestly only showers and my books would get wet which is no good.

>>9254746
I honestly get suggestions from a small subreddit. I read mostly horror/weird.
>>
>>9254746
This board isn't for weak shit casuals. Either git gud or get lost
>>
>>9254757
Then go ask your cringey reddit buddies for advice, I'm sure they'll suit you better
>>
>>9254761
Git gud at what?

>>9254766
How are they cringy? Honestly people here come across alot more cringy.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.