[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you write dialogue / make it sound natural?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: .jpg (128KB, 1300x951px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
128KB, 1300x951px
How do you write dialogue / make it sound natural?
>>
>>9254430
Talk with people or listen to conversations and take note of things like cues, responses and the tones of discussions. It really isn't hard unless you have a condition which pertains to social retardation (ie Autism or Aspergers)
>>
>>9254430
>dialogue
it's been played out
>>
>>9254430

Just listen to the way people talk.

Also, rewriting. Don't be afraid to cut your dialogue or change it if you read it back out loud and it sounds retarded.

I feel like a lot of young writers try and set up "funny lines" they already had in their head with their dialogue. It always sounds forced. Don't try to be funnier than you are. And if you read it out loud and it doesn't sound like something you'd expect from a human being, then cut it.

I assume you've talked to human beings before. You should be able to tell when something doesn't sound like conversation.
>>
It helps to be well practiced in conversation in the first place. I imagine a quiet introvert would have more trouble emulating the rhythm of a conversation, in which case it's valuable to listen to others.

Don't have a conversation prepared. Improvise and see where the characters take it. You might be surprised at what you come up with.
>>
You write, and alternate between, the following types of dialogue

'Sample text,' he said. 'Sample text.'
'Sample text,' he said, 'sample text.'
'Sample text, sample text.' He said.
He looked out the window. 'Sample text!'
'Sample text.'

This is wisdom. If you know good style, you will more readily catch poor dialogue.
>>
>>9254430
Remember that people aren't always listening to each other and be sure to remove as many unnecessary words as possible.
>>
>>9256004
>This is wisdom
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.