[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is American Psycho recommendable?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: American Psycho.jpg (157KB, 980x1471px) Image search: [Google]
American Psycho.jpg
157KB, 980x1471px
I heard it should be a critique of American consumerism and the shallow society it creates, but I also hear it's more of a bad attempt and gore glorification. Don't want to waste my Shekels.
>>
File: IMG_0035.jpg (54KB, 720x678px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0035.jpg
54KB, 720x678px
>>9250720
>reading american lit other than pynch, melville, or gaddis
>>
>>9250721
Cannot follow, don't know what the fuck you mean.
>>
>>9250724
>lacking the mental capacity to parse that post

maybe vonnegut and twain will be more appropriate for you.
>>
>>9250728
Well, I don't know the authors you mentioned. What should I do with that?
Maybe you should upgrade your mental capacity by starting to consider that not everyone read American literature just because they speak English.
>>
I get the message that Ellis is trying to convey, and it's a good message, but the execution is terrible. The novel is full of vapid characters you won't give a fuck about. And while Ellis has probably done that intentionally, it doesn't work. Also, most of the gore in it is for gore's sake.

I didn't like it, but it's an intriguing read. It's not a waste of time, even if you dislike it.
>>
>>9250735
you don't fucking know melville? leave this fucking board.
>>
File: do it you fucking pussy.gif (2MB, 324x181px) Image search: [Google]
do it you fucking pussy.gif
2MB, 324x181px
>>9250739
>elitist faggot
>cannot capitalize a single name, let alone start of record
>>
>>9250737
Hmm, I don't know. Doesn't sound like it is worth it. I read a couple pages on amazon and it is like you described, vapid, void characters but somewhat intriguing. Couldn't win me over with what I could read.
>>
>>9250737
>The novel is full of vapid characters you won't give a fuck about. And while Ellis has probably done that intentionally, it doesn't work.
It works on some level and it was definitely his intention.

I'd recommend it to people. The gore is excessive and distracting at times however but on the whole it's a very interesting book.
>>
File: I'm blessed.png (268KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
I'm blessed.png
268KB, 750x750px
>>9251012
Interesting in what sense? Is it still good food for thought regarding excessive consumerism?
>>
>consumerism
>the capital T Theme

should search on about American Psycho and nihilism. There's a really good article about it.
>>
>>9250737
>The novel is full of vapid characters you won't give a fuck about.

While this is true, Ellis makes the interactions between these characters hilariously absurd so it's not like you're just sitting there bored.
>>
>>9251238
Even though I never read American Psycho in the first place?
And what's a "capital T theme"?

>>9251261
Eh, fuck it. I'll give it a shot then.
>>
>>9250720
>a critique of American consumerism
Lol no. It's a critique of the American business class and muh 1percent.

A critique of consumerism would be set in some faceless suburb.
>>
>>9251282
Oh, sorry, I misread the thread.

But yeah, give it a try. By the way, if you feel excruciating pain trying to slog through Bateman's morning routine, his schizophrenic downtown strolls, and musical criticisms then Ellis has took another victim and that he succeeded in what he was trying to do. The entire book is very interesting stylistically once you look deeper into everything. You'll probably make a thread once you're done with it so that'll give me an opening to discuss it.
>>
>>9250720
The book is fucking hilarious.

But I'm schizotypal so maybe I didn't get it
>>
File: hot sauce.jpg (130KB, 496x859px) Image search: [Google]
hot sauce.jpg
130KB, 496x859px
>>9251300
Alright, I'll buy it once I finish the current book I'm reading; probably around next week then.

Thank you guys, who actually addressed my question.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.