[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any point in argument?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: Lion-faced_deity.jpg (22KB, 205x252px) Image search: [Google]
Lion-faced_deity.jpg
22KB, 205x252px
It seems that argument is so full of paradoxes that it barely sustains anything else. The clearer you see your own argument, the more you will suffer. The greater the distance between it and an other's dim argument, the more alone you will be in the perception of this distance. So engaging will only result in a feedback loop of anger while the other party remains unaware, maybe linguistically confused but mentally oblivious. Subjecting your own ideas and emotions to violence by opening the one way street to dimness for nothing. Even concession means nothing, neither intellectually nor emotionally, when coming from someone whose dimness and mind are the same thing.

So no thesis-antithesis-synthesis whatsoever. Just negative value from start to finish. It certainly reinforces the idea that the external world is a giant ruse.
>>
>>9250450
OP got BTFO and now is butthurt
>>
>>9250450
quantum logic surpasses classical logic and represents a superposition of contradictory axioms that helps us understand that objectivity and subjectivity are one in the same. paradoxes in logic are just evidence of the limitations in the logic itself, not so much as a flaw in reality.
>>
>>9250526
the fuck you talkin about, son?
>>
File: Yin_yang.svg.png (10KB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
Yin_yang.svg.png
10KB, 260x260px
>>9250526

This is an ancient idea though.
>>
>>9250551
one that has only been confirmed further by bleeding edge science.
>>
File: 137.jpg (65KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
137.jpg
65KB, 600x600px
>>9250508
>tfw my whole point was that argument has no point and engaging with you will only enforce this appalling realization while you remain blissfully unaware
>>
File: IMG_0039.jpg (2MB, 2500x1685px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0039.jpg
2MB, 2500x1685px
>>9250567
>yfw you realize that your response is just as tragic as the post you're engaging with
>>
File: soc.jpg (55KB, 431x450px) Image search: [Google]
soc.jpg
55KB, 431x450px
I got you senpai

--

Lest we become misologists, he replied, no worse thing can happen to a man than this. For as there are misanthropists or haters of men, there are also misologists or haters of ideas, and both spring from the same cause, which is ignorance of the world. Misanthropy arises out of the too great confidence of inexperience;—you trust a man and think him altogether true and sound and faithful, and then in a little while he turns out to be false and knavish; and then another and another, and when this has happened several times to a man, especially when it happens among those whom he deems to be his own most trusted and familiar friends, and he has often quarreled with them, he at last hates all men, and believes that no one has any good in him at all. You must have observed this trait of character?

I have.

And is not the feeling discreditable? Is it not obvious that such an one having to deal with other men, was clearly without any experience of human nature; for experience would have taught him the true state of the case, that few are the good and few the evil, and that the great majority are in the interval between them.
What do you mean? I said.

I mean, he replied, as you might say of the very large and very small, that nothing is more uncommon than a very large or very small man; and this applies generally to all extremes, whether of great and small, or swift and slow, or fair and foul, or black and white: and whether the instances you select be men or dogs or anything else, few are the extremes, but many are in the mean between them. Did you never observe this?

Yes, I said, I have.

And do you not imagine, he said, that if there were a competition in evil, the worst would be found to be very few?

Yes, that is very likely, I said.
>>
>>9250450
If a lion could speak, we couldn't understand him.
>>
File: hemlock.jpg (205KB, 1625x1057px) Image search: [Google]
hemlock.jpg
205KB, 1625x1057px
>>9250570
Yes, that is very likely, he replied; although in this respect arguments are unlike men—there I was led on by you to say more than I had intended; but the point of comparison was, that when a simple man who has no skill in dialectics believes an argument to be true which he afterwards imagines to be false, whether really false or not, and then another and another, he has no longer any faith left, and great disputers, as you know, come to think at last that they have grown to be the wisest of mankind; for they alone perceive the utter unsoundness and instability of all arguments, or indeed, of all things, which, like the currents in the Euripus, are going up and down in never-ceasing ebb and flow.

That is quite true, I said.

Yes, Phaedo, he replied, and how melancholy, if there be such a thing as truth or certainty or possibility of knowledge—that a man should have lighted upon some argument or other which at first seemed true and then turned out to be false, and instead of blaming himself and his own want of wit, because he is annoyed, should at last be too glad to transfer the blame from himself to arguments in general: and for ever afterwards should hate and revile them, and lose truth and the knowledge of realities.

Yes, indeed, I said; that is very melancholy.

Let us then, in the first place, he said, be careful of allowing or of admitting into our souls the notion that there is no health or soundness in any arguments at all. Rather say that we have not yet attained to soundness in ourselves, and that we must struggle manfully and do our best to gain health of mind—you and all other men having regard to the whole of your future life, and I myself in the prospect of death.
>>
>>9250571
lions roar and typically it means gtfo off my lawn.
>>
>>9250574
>>9250570
>>9250450
t. baby's first epistemological skepticism
>>
>>9250551
then what you must assume is that not only are arguments useless, but they are also in a state of usefulness simultaneously, the value you place on destructive/constructive opposition needs to remain a driving force to incentivize your proclivities. even as you sigh over the futility of argumentation, you are drawn into it. the contradiction between your acts and your complaints and ideals for that matter shows that in the abstract both can exist and in this way you can be fulfilled knowing that hypocrisy is rather a satisfaction of this dichotomous superposition of your desires.
>>
>>9250586

But I...don't want to keep the wheel of the world, and by extension my own, spinning.
>>
>>9250591
well, you don't necessarily have to, my friend, but that sounds a bit close to a weary plea for suicide. are you that demiurge guy tat i spoke to in my holy water thread a couple days ago? you seem too smart to be excessively tired out by argumentation. if you're anything like me, you just need a break, and to gain perspective, return to what you find solace in and if that does not suffice, there is always more to explore, as you well know. your triumphant return will assuage your fears until you find yourself in another rut. unfortunately this wheel you speak of will spin despite your attempts to stop it. you know this probably better than i. anyhow, i certainly understand, friend.
>>
>>9250591
besides, you and i both know there will be many many arguments after death.
>>
>>9250450
Gnosticism is cool.
>>
>>9250616
well, it is and it isn't.
>>9250591
also, if you are the demiurge contemplating suicide, you would know that your death does not necessarily disrupt the wheel, but rather that one shall simoly take your place. me, for example. the wheel must creak, and a curse bewoeden 'pon impure ears. shudder not the moment of toil usurped, for sand weighs the same to any god, rather the difference is the will to heft!
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.