[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just got up to Book 5. Can we get a discussion thread?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 51pq7x-x5BL.jpg (51KB, 329x500px) Image search: [Google]
51pq7x-x5BL.jpg
51KB, 329x500px
Just got up to Book 5. Can we get a discussion thread?
>>
couldn't keep reading after he stole the pears. unforgivable
>>
No, that hack heathen deserves no attention after the crimes he committed against dear Pelagius.
>>
>>9249181
What have you learned from it so far?
>>
>>9249181
Fantastic book. Affected me immensely.

Books 7 and 8 were particularly moving. His understanding of the human consciousness came across beautifully.

Book 11 was also amazing. His analysis of time was well beyond anything I had ever contemplated.
>>
>>9249181
Slowly going through it now. I don't know why it still surprises me but it does when I read something this old and see that people are and we're always the same. It's comforting and it grounds you in a way that a newer book of the same type can't.
>>
All the "o dear heavenly father" bullshit can get a little tiring, but he is quite a good philosopher, his account of time in book 11 is really solid stuff, so if people dont want to grind through the whole book, book 11 is still a must read.
>>
Reminder that Saint Augustine was black
>>
>>9251558
>>>/pol/
>>
>>9249212
there's theft in this book? i was gonna read it
>>
>>9249181
Book 10-12 is where the magic happens and shit gets down.
>>
>>9251791
*goes
>>
what translation
>>
>>9251809

Frank Sheed.
>>
>>9251809

Refer to this though for a comparison: http://christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/19177/what-translation-of-augustines-confessions-is-the-easiest-to-read-in-english
>>
Can we talk about how weird and solipsistic the first book is? Especially his skepticism for infancy

>>9249212
Kek
>>
>>9251558
he was one of the good ones
>>
I'm currently procrastinating on my Augustine essay by listening to music and posting on /lit/. 13 pages in and waiting on edits.
>>
>>9249212
Solid.
>>
>>9254501
What's the essay about?
>>
>>9249212
lek
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.