[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this a good starting point with Pynchon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 210px-Crying_of_lot_49.jpg (17KB, 210x321px) Image search: [Google]
210px-Crying_of_lot_49.jpg
17KB, 210x321px
Is this a good starting point with Pynchon?
>>
Can I sell you my copy? It's new, I've only read the first page.
>>
>>9247531
If your reading comprehension is fine then sure, read the first few pages on Amazon and see for urself.
Otherwise, Inherent Vice is way easier and still v good so go there.
>>
I read it a few weeks ago, I enjoyed it, first Pynchon for me
>>
yes and two other books later it's still my favorite I've finished (the other two being Inherent Vice and Bleeding Edge)
>>
It's the only one of his books I've read to date, so yes.
>>
>>9247554
Information?
>>
>>9247582
I have only read TCoL49 and for some reason I assumed it was his easiest work.

Have you read Vineland? Is it harder?
>>
>>9248029
what
>>
>>9247531
Yes. But don't be dissuaded if you don't love it. If you have even a lukewarm response to it take it as a portent that you'll enjoy his feature works. I'd recommend doing the following:

TCoL49
V.
Gravity's Rainbow
Choose from here based on preference between:
Against the Day
Mason & Dixon
If you still want more read anything of what's left
>>
I just finished it the other day. I really liked it a lot more than I was expecting.
>>
>>9248118
No, Vineland is a little easier really. I was surprised myself.
>>
File: 4234323142325.jpg (4KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
4234323142325.jpg
4KB, 100x100px
>>9248210
>AtD over M&D
>>
>>9248118
Vineland is easier, so is IV, so is BE

(they're all great)
>>
Dude this book is a fucking trip, its fucking surreal and damn there are some moments of profound expression that will leave you blown away.

P.S. smoke weed or wax, then read this book, youll be experiencing pynchon as intended
>>
Good starting point because it's easy, but bad because it's not that great compared to his other books.

I'd recommend Inherent Vice to anyone new to him. It's fun and easy, and felt like it was worth it as a book and not just a "good" introduction, which is what Lot 49 feels like sometimes.

Of course there is no reason you can't read anything you want first, other than the fact that's it's good to test the waters before diving in.
>>
>>9248645
this.
>>
>>9247531
Yes. It will put you off his works.
>>
TCoL is cool, but if you wanna prep for GR, I'd start with slow learner instead. V is also good at introducing the idiosyncratic nature of his work; say what you will about pynchon the dude's only ever written one book
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.