[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Remind me why Harry Potter is supposed to be bad again? Not a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Remind me why Harry Potter is supposed to be bad again? Not a work of art, sure, but it's at least a commendable achievement of fiction. At worst, it's inoffensive.
>>
Because if it's not the greatest achievement of mankind it's total garbage. That's just natural, scientifically logical fact.
>>
>it's inoffensive.
I'm offended by her lack of creativity or imagination.
>>
In the hands of a proper writer, this had tremendous potential. The concept is old and cliched, but with the proper technique and imagination, both of which are absent in Rowling, this could have been so much more than a YA high school drama.

Doesn't matter though, lit would have still shat on it.
>>
File: underclass.jpg (51KB, 497x331px) Image search: [Google]
underclass.jpg
51KB, 497x331px
>>9240071
The protagonists are built up as noble, benevolent people but their school is maintained by slave labour.
>>
>>9240344
It is implied that. while the house elves of Hogwarts are technically enslaved, at least magically, they're basically employees.

They're treated well and are offered a salary and such. Most do not take the salary, because house elves as a species weirdly sort of like being enslaved by humans, as long as they're not abused. (Naturally, wizards abuse them anyway.) It's like their whole species has stockholm syndrome or something.
>>
>>9240071

Its not a bad book, its just a children's book that catered perfectly to its generation; wish fulfillment and the oppressiveness of adulthood

Its not terrible—its actually quite fun to read. However, it suffers because the generation that read it has been stuck at that prepubescent intellect level ever since, forever and ever writing memes about how they wish they got a Hogwarts letter. In the end its the fans that ruin it; they're not bad, they're just pathetic.
>>
it's pure and utter garbage

better to be illiterate than to read harry potter
>>
>>9240071
It's the dullest franchise in the history of franchises.
>>
>>9240071
It's a children's book. It should be compared to The Very Hungry Caterpillar, not to Infinite Jest.
>>
>>9240344
I always kind of figured house elves were like brownies or old men of the house or other little benevolent house spirits that look over a household but aren't seen. And the ones at Hogwarts are happy because they're treated well and their house is big and happy (for the most part) but Dobby and Kreacher and Winky were mistreated so they don't act like the norm.
>>
>>9240344
Are you majoring in "Elves Studies"?
>>
>female
Strike one
>British
strike two
>fiction
strike three
>YA
strike four
I wipe my ass with this paper
>>
>>9240071
It's bad because you're on the Internet and so >>9240082

If you want actual discussion: I read the first book in seventh grade and liked it, so I kept reading them. There were some false steps, but overall I though Rowling did a good job. While I've obviously moved past the books intellectually, I still have a soft spot for them and I think Rowling's ability to keep the story together as the fame and money piled up is nothing to take for granted.

Also, as retarded as Rowling is in public life I do appreciate her relatively welcoming towards fan fic and derivative works, though maybe that's easy when you've already made a billion fucking quid.

The movies are an underrated cinematic achievement in large part because of watching the actors grow up but also because of some excellent craftsmanship from the older actors.

I never felt the same (now much attenuated) connection to HP that I did to Star Wars, though I do understand the one by analogy with the other. I think the secondary material in the HP universe is markedly worse than in SW, although that might be nostalgia talking.

In larger terms, HP's biggest impact is that it is the first significant modern bureaucratic-academic fantasy. Others have tried to recapture its formula and failed.
>>
>>9240071
>a commendable achievement of fiction

Commendable for what? For making truckloads of money? I guess.
>>
>>9240071
Solid childrens book. Its a shame the author and her fanbase are completely insufferable. Fame really went to JKs head.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.