[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here read this book? Thoughts?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: left-hand-cover.jpg (43KB, 316x546px) Image search: [Google]
left-hand-cover.jpg
43KB, 316x546px
Anyone here read this book? Thoughts?
>>
>>9239922
Yes, it was better than i expected even if the entire concept made me feel funny inside.
I cant really imagine a world like that
>>
Reading it now, it's really good
>>
>>9239971
IMO the part when they travel across the ice was the best part for a couple of reasons.

That's when genly really changed and the reader got to experience what he was internalizing.

Tied together at least one short story that I remember. (the guy that killed a son and then arrives at the fathers cabin needing help.

Together we can get it's not only a story flat story about gender, but about acceptance and forgivness.

But when reading other peoples opinions they seem to regard that part as the worst/most boring.
>>
>>9239922
Did not she do the intros for the Strugatsky books?
>>
eh it's ok but there's not a whole lot to it. The ideas end up too self contained to the planet she created which neuters the ideas a bit.
>>
>>9239922
As a Le Guin fan I think her writer gets better the more recent it is but with that said I've only read novels of her that range from 1968 (A Wizard of Earthsea) to the mid 70s and a couple of short stories she wrote in the 90s. Anyway I felt that this book was a 4/5. In the introduction she talks about ways she could of improved it and I agree with those ideas, It's a pretty good book. My favorite is The Word For World is Forest tho.

>>9240099
The travelling on the ice parts was awesome but I thought the politics that took place on the world was really cool.
>>
>>9239922
it's good
>>
>>9240304
Do pay more attention next time dear fellow. There's a lot of ideas and subtexts in this book: the idea that labeling something obscures the actual nature of the thing, the contrasting politics and conventions of a more technologically advanced and unified society and a less advanced, slightly anarchic monarchy. And then there is Le Guin's exploration of the nature of progress and life itself, and the role of ignorance and uncertainty in these (itself A Taoist subtext); and then the question of patriotism (where does it go wrong?) These are themes questions of a universal application, are there are many of them.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.