[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alejandro Jorodowsky

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: jodorowsky.jpg (135KB, 1200x799px) Image search: [Google]
jodorowsky.jpg
135KB, 1200x799px
I was thinking about reading some post-modern Freudian work when I came across this guy. He has a book called "psychomagics", which apparently is Freudian rambling with some mysticism thrown here and there.
I was thinking about reading it (I recently read "Civilization and it's discontents" and found it interesting, but more in a "it was nice reading all this shitposting" kind of way), but I'm not sure if my expectations will be met, and since I'm don't have that much time (I'm currently working and studying at the same time) I don't want to invest my time in a book that will leave me with a shitty taste.
Is this, dare I say it, my guy? Or there's other authors that are doing what I'm searching for in better ways?

And no, I'm not reading Slavoj Zizek (at least not without reading Lacan first).
>>
>>9238055
Jodoroowsky is very much a mystic. He non-ironically performed a Tarot reading for Kanye West once.

I don't know how relevant his writing is to Freud. Most people appreciate Jodorowsky for his films, which I think are absolutely amazing. Check out Holy Mountain and El Topo ("the Mole"). Both are really crazy films.
>>
dune....
/cries
>>
>>9238083
here's a trailer for Holy Mountain

https://youtu.be/bdXGhsAynGI

forgive the pretentious narration. There isn't anything like that in the film. But it isn't exactly an easy film to make a trailer for.
>>
>>9238083
I love the Holy Mountain. The Aztec lizards vs conquistador toads scene is easily one of the greatest in cinematic history.
>>
>>9238118
I swear I had "pretentious" filtered.
>>
>>9238155
>filtering "pretentious"
>on /lit/
You don't read much posts in here, don't you?
>>
>>9238155
well, I think it's an apt way to describe the narration over that film trailer

>"Nothing in your education or experience can prepare you for this film"

>"holy mountain is a film completely outside the tradition of motion picture art"

>"the holy mountain is a film outside the tradition of criticism and review"

This is all BS. Holy Mountain is surely well situated within traditions like magical realism, freudianism, surrealism and post-colonialism.

So when I say, disregard the pretentious narration, it's because the narration is pretentious. It's making outrageous claims about the film for the sake of sensationalising the trailer and building hype.

It's still a really amazing film. Go watch it.
>>
>>9238146
I do really like that scene, but for me the best part is the segment with the Chief of Police and his chamber of testicles. And then the very surreal protest/police crackdown scene that follows. Watching birds fly out of people's chests and people crushing fruit against their chests in a symbolic representation of police violence is probably the most beautiful piece of cinema I've ever seen.
>>
>>9238373
In the 70s, it was very much a groundbreaking film, or at least more groundbreaking than it would be today
>>
>>9238055
este hombre, en mi pais.
El no es nada
>>
>>9238083
Start with Santa Sangre
>>
>>9238055
Like the the other anon said you are better of just sticking with his films
The guy seems to be actually somewhat wellread but he is either retarded or crazy but he is really creative, even if he comes up with the most absurd shit
If you are a film pleb maybe start with Dreams from Kurosawa before jumping into stuff like Jodo
>>
>>9238383
I think to most movie-going audiences it would be a pretty shocking film. But it generally only received screenings in art-house cinemas.anyway.

And I do not believe this trailer was made concurrently with the film, I'm guessing it was made in the 80s or 90s when the film was re-released.

As far as Holy Mountain's place in film history goes, it's clearly heavily influenced by film epics like Heston's "10 Commandments" and Elizabeth Taylor's "Cleopatra", especially when it comes to the grand scale of set design and cinematography. And it's bewildering use of imagery without coherent explanation is obviously a surrealist tactic, the kind of thing you see in Bunuel, Dali, Duchamp/Man Ray films

So the whole idea that Holy Mountain is a groundbreaking split with film history is just silly. But none of this is to argue that it isn't an amazing film, because it is an amazing film.
>>
>>9238083
>He non-ironically performed a Tarot reading for Kanye West once.

even if you do something unironically.. you're still doing it.
>>
>>9238373
the problem with shamans and tricksters.. is.. they can't accept that other people might already have the truths they want to impart. they have to be Bugs Bunny. they can't accept that there are Gremlins.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.